Geek Reading November 23, 2015
Geek Reading November 23, 2015
Leading off our Monday is a presentation on Slide Share from Xavier Amatriain. In the slides, he shows us lessons learned from building machine learning systems. On Conversation Agent, Valeria Maltoni talks about how to make hard choices.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
The open source HPCC Systems platform is a proven, easy to use solution for managing data at scale. Visit our Easy Guide to learn more about this completely free platform, test drive some code in the online Playground, and get started today.
Leading off our Monday is a presentation on Slide Share from Xavier Amatriain. In the slides, he shows us lessons learned from building machine learning systems. On Conversation Agent, Valeria Maltoni talks about how to make hard choices. She uses information from an excellent TED presentation by Ruth Chang to really get into why some choices are so difficult. On Mountain Goat Software, they have an excellent post about how to get people to take more responsibility. Specifically, they use agile teams and ensure that some work stays unassigned in order to see who steps forward.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- How to Make Hard Choices | Conversation Agent
- Leave Work Unassigned and See Who Steps Forward | Mountain Goat Software
- On Hatching Chickens, Eggs, and Startups | DZone Agile
- Confidence Through Feedback, or Why Imposter Syndrome is the Wrong Metaphor | Beth Andres-Beck
- 3 Reasons Why Daily Scrums Take So Long | DZone Agile
- On Building Digital Capacity And Attracting Talent | Smashing Magazine
Design and Development
- Interactive and composable charts | Haskell for all
- Compilers as Assistants | Lambda the Ultimate
- Asynchronous Everything | Joe Duffy
- Instant Loading Web Apps With An Application Shell Architecture | Addy Osmani
- Utilizing the Simplicity of Go for Easy Development | Java Code Geeks
- Containers, Collections and Null | The Programmer’s Paradox
- A New Way to Test Your Multithreaded Code With JUnit | DZone Java
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
- The story of one latency spike | CloudFlare
- Random Code Failures Race Conditions Between Our Code and the JVM | JavaSpecialists
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- How to differentiate a function numerically | John D. Cook
- Lucid Meets Prolog | Bill Wadge
- 10 more lessons learned from building Machine Learning systems | Xavier Amatriain on SlideShare
- Friday Q&A 2015-11-20: Covariance and Contravariance | Mike Ash
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Meet Graph Commons: Network Mapping For Everyone | Neo4j Graph Database
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Protecting Yourself on a Compromised Computer | LastPass
- Starwood Hotels Warns of Credit Card Breach | Krebs on Security
IaaS, PaaS, Saas and *aas
- Glacier Costlier than S3 for Small Files | The Rub
- Double Shot #1589 | A Fresh Cup
- Dew Drop – November 20, 2015 (#2136) | Morning Dew
- Web Development Reading List #113: Anticipatory Design, SVG Optimization and Native DOM Selection Tricks | Smashing Magazine
- Programming Digest #134 for November 23, 2015 | Weekly Programming Newsletter
- Data Science Roundup #10: The Future of AI, the Story of Statistical Regression and more | The Data Point
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana , DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.