Geek Reading: Week of July 13, 2016
This week's Geek Reading list presented by Robert Diana, including articles on design and development, concurrency and performance, security and encryption.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Kubernetes starts our day with a post about Minikube, their way to run Kubernetes locally. It is not entirely standalone since it requires VirtualBox, but at least it's a step in the right direction. With the morning paper, we get an excellent introduction into Goods, Google’s tool for organizing datasets. This is one of those products that only appears when you get enough smart people working on a bunch of different things, but they all run into a similar problem. On Machine Learning Mastery, we have a post about feature selection for machine learning in Weka. Besides data preparation, feature selection is one of the harder elements of machine learning.
As always, enjoy today’s items, and please participate in the discussions on these sites.
Startups, Career and Process
- Using Code as a Medium for Continuous Learning | Atomic Object
- You’re doing it wrong: Done-Done | Gil Zilberfeld
- The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development | Frontside
- The Xenodochial Agile Coach | DZone Agile
- 8 Tips for Collaborating with the Development Team | Java Code Geeks
- Salary Negotiations Study: Data from Tech Employees | Comparably Blog
- How Collaboration Humanizes the Enterprise | DaedTech
Design and Development
- Getting started with ANTLR: building a simple expression language | Java Code Geeks
- Getting Rid of the Gang-of-Four Design Patterns is Nonsense | S.Lott-Software Architect
- Global Languages Support at Netflix – Testing Search Queries | The Netflix Tech Blog
- State in scalable architectures | Java Code Geeks
- Shipping Rust in Firefox | Mozilla Hacks
- How to build server less applications for Mist | Ethereum Blog
Concurrency, Performance and Scalability
AI, Machine Learning, Research and Advanced Algorithms
- How to Perform Feature Selection With Machine Learning Data in Weka | Machine Learning Mastery
- Ambry: LinkedIn’s scalable geo-distributed object store | the morning paper
Big Data, Visualization, SQL and NoSQL
- Goods: organizing Google’s datasets | the morning paper
- The best way to detect database connection leaks | Vlad Mihalcea
Infrastructure, Operations and DevOps
- Minikube: easily run Kubernetes locally | Kubernetes
Security, Encryption and Cryptography
- Dew Drop – July 12, 2016 (#2285) | Morning Dew
- Double Shot #1704 | A Fresh Cup
Published at DZone with permission of Robert Diana, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.