Generic steps to identify a memory leak
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
1. Start the application with profiler options enabled.
2. Run Garbage Collector using profiler client tool.
3. Capture memory snapshot.
4. Submit request to the server application.
5. Once the job has run successfully run GC again.
6. Capture memory snapshot.
7. Compare snapshots to find if any objects are leaked.
Repeat Steps 4 to 7 with similar request.If you find an increase in memory after each successive request completion then memory leak can be suspected. Then the suspect objects can be found out by analyzing report like dominator tree objects etc and probably code fix might be necessary to prevent memory leak. Once the code fix is done, you can repeat the steps mentioned above to see if the fix has helped to resolve memory leak.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.