Install that plugin.
Here's where you'll find the new template, once you've installed the above plugin:
Here are the instructions for using the above new template:
- Create a module project.
- Use the new Java Hint template that you see above.
- Inspect the generated Java class and tweak as needed.
- Look at the layer.xml file and see what's going on there.
- Expand the layer.xml file and see how the hint is registered within the existing hints.
- Right-click the project, choose Properties, go to the Libraries panel, and edit "Editor Hints (Experimental)", "Java Editor", and "Java Hints", such that you end up using their Implementation Versions. Close the Properties dialog.
- Install the plugin, making sure to do a restart.
- Have a look at Tools > Options > Java Code > Hints and make sure that your hint is registered. Read the description and see if you like it. If not, go back and change it in the plugin.
- Do whatever you need to do to cause the hint to appear. By default, it will appear if a method name is "showMessageDialog", as in "JOptionPane.showMessageDialog":
By default, the label equals the class prefix you filled in in the 2nd step of the Java Hint wizard. Simply change it in the generated Java class as needed.
- The generated hint is not a fixable hint. That's possible to create too: Fixable Hint.
- Upload your plugin in the Plugin Portal so others can use it.