Get the Low Down on All Things React and React Native
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
React.js was originally developed by Facebook to create highly responsive and dynamic UI applications with uncompromised performance.
React Native was developed and launched by Facebook in 2015 and became quite an interesting and popular framework among mobile app developers.
It can be used for building cross-platform mobile apps. The framework was later customized by contributors to use it for building desktop apps as well.
Though React Native looks very similar to React.js, there are certain differences in their use and structure. In this post, we will see what separates React Native from React.js.
Setup and Running Process
While starting a new project and setting up React.js, you will need to choose Webpack, which is actually a bundler. You will then decide which bundling modules will specifically suit your project.
In React Native, you have everything you need to set up and get started. It is so easy and fast to launch the framework. All it takes is to run one command in your terminal, and you are ready to start coding your first ever React Native app.
You will need Xcode (for iOS) or Android Studio (for Android) installed on your computer to run the app. Use an emulator of the target platform or test its performance on your own devices.
You may also like: Everything React: Tutorials for Beginners and Experts Alike.
Velocity.js allows developers to form assorted animations. They work based on time and velocity of gesture and can be used in many combinations. You can also use LayoutAnimation in React Native, which is beneficial for creating transitions, especially on iOS.
Rapid app development seekers would be happy to use React in their native project since you already get a few great tools without actually installing anything.
This unique quality saves a lot of time and effort for developers. In addition, hot reloading enabled by React.js comes in handy when there is a need to make small changes to overall app styles.
You can leverage Live Reload if there are bigger changes to add to the app logic, so that your app reloads upon changing the code.
React Native developers can use many developer tools present in React JS. You can use Chrome Dev Tools to inspect the network requests, handle logs, and debug applications.
You also have Redux DevTools for further assistance in an inspection. However, the native inspector is not very helpful since you can’t inspect DOM with React Native like you are able to do on the web.
Business Benefits of React.js
- React’s DOM (document object model) that manages data inputs and outputs is much faster than the conventional refresh model. Since it only partially refreshes certain parts of the page, Facebook never knew the process of refreshing would prove to be faster. By positively affecting the re-build time, the partial DOM refresh eventually boosts performance and speed while writing programs.
- The phenomenon of reusable code components in React JS further saves you a lot of time.
- React.js also improves debugging speed, which highly favors developers’ work.
- The possibility of rendering pages from the server to the browser helps positively with SEO.
- Because it is effortlessly readable, unlike other frameworks, React doesn’t require you to become heavily acquainted with an extensive list of concepts.
Business Benefits of React Native
- React Native contains Native modules and components that help render certain code components directly with Native APIs to improve performance and speed. It does not depend on WebView for code rendering, unlike other cross-platform frameworks.
- Since React Native also lets developers reuse code and a common logic layer across iOS and Android, the need for building the applications separately for both is avoided.
- React Native offers all the mentioned benefits of React.js, such as delivering a user-friendly UI.
- The component-based development model of React Native framework creates an agile web-style approach for developers to build apps without actually relying on any web.
- By delivering high performance, agility, and responsiveness in app development, React Native gets rid of typical struggles involved in native app development, such as inefficiency, slow deployment, and unsatisfying developer productivity. It also results in the best user experience of native apps.
- Another React Native speed booster is its ability to add UI components directly into the existing app’s code without aiming to rewrite. So you don’t have to overhaul the entire app when updating.
The process of mobile app development using React Native framework is swimmingly fast. So, you can quickly get an app ready in a mature shape. Building the complex UI design elements in React Native is also quick, as it usually is with React JS across both iOS and Android.
At present developers are struck by two major options in mobile application development: React Native and Google’s Flutter.
Developers also have a huge advantage of getting the best out of the big and benevolent React Native community. Thus, Facebook’s original framework React Native has a lot to offer and is a recommendable technology for any web developer who wants to build mobile apps.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.