Mediatek has provided the LinkIt ONE Software Development Kit (SDK) for developing apps for LinkIt ONE devices. It consists of an SDK that integrates with the Arduino software to deliver a familiar development environment. Hence, if you have a recent version of Arduino IDE installed, you can easily add boards through board manager. That’s the easiest way of getting started. Although there are many other ways of installing the SDK, I strongly recommend this one as it is the easiest and bug-free. If you do not havethe Arduino IDE, get it from here. If you are new to LinkIt One here is a brief overview for you — Pointing The Spotlight On LinkIt ONE.
What is the Arduino IDE?
The Arduino IDE is an open-source development environment that makes it easy to write code and upload it to the board. It is a cross-platform software written in java which deploys code to any Arduino or Arduino certified board. The code we write to interact with physical boards is based on a C like language which is very easy to learn for beginners—which was probably the main reason behind Arduino becoming so popular.
Setting Up the Development Environment for LinkItOne
A USB COM port driver is required for the LinkIt ONE SDK installation. Also, you have to disable automatic driver installation as the automatic download and installation of device drivers can prevent proper installation of the LinkIt ONE USB COM port driver on Windows 7, 8, and 10 machines. For this:
- Open Control Panel and search for and open Change device installation settings. It will be under Devices and Printers.
- In Device Installation Settings select No, let me choose what to do, then click Never install driver software from Windows Update, also make sure to uncheck Automatically get the device application and information provided by your device manufacturer. Figure 1: Device Installation Settings
- Click on Save Changes.
Download the USB COM port driver for LinkIt ONE development board for Microsoft Windows. Now run the installer InstallMTKUSBCOMPortDriver.exe
With the Arduino IDE version 1.6.4 and greater you can easily add third party boards directly from the stock IDE.
- Open Arduino IDE (version 1.6.4 or higher), Under File menu select Preferences. Figure 3: Preferences
- A dialog box will open. Here under Additional Boards Manager URL’s we will be adding a new URL. This list of URLs is separated by commas, meaning you can add multiples. We only need one for LinkItOne. Paste in this URL. Figure 4: Add a new URL
- Save the preference settings. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
- Go to Tools, Board, then Boards Manager.
- You will then be able to select and install the boards supplied by the URLs added to the preferences. LinkIt ONE by Seed Studios and MediaTek Labs is now displayed in Boards Manager. Select the latest LinkIt ONE SDK version and click Install.
- When installation completes version n.n.nn INSTALLED is appended to the tool’s name, as shown below. You now have LinkItOne SDK installed. Figure 8: Board Manager
- Restart Arduino IDE.
- Now you will notice the LinkItOne Board listed under the Tool, in Board menu. Figure 9: Board menu
We have now set up the development environment and are ready to start developing IoT applications with our LinkIt One.