Good Unit Test CheckList
Here are a few items I try to respect every time I write unit tests.
- My test class is testing one and only one class
- My methods are testing one and only one method at a time
- My variables and methods names are explicit
- My test cases are easy to read by human
- My tests are also testing expected exception with @Test(expected=MyException.class)
- My tests don’t need access to database
- My tests don’t need access to network resources
- My tests respect the usual clean code standards (lenght of lines, cyclomatic complexity,…)
- My tests control side effects, limit values (max, min) and null variables (even if it throws an exception)
- My tests can be run any time on any place without needing configuration
- My tests are concrete (ex. dates are hardwired, not computed every time, strings too…)
- My tests use mock to simulate/stub complex class structure or methods
I’m pretty sure there are more. Any ideas?