Groovy++ v0.2 Small version number but huge milestone
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Today is very big day for Groovy++ team and me personally. Version 0.2 of Groovy++ is available now for download. Please go to http://code.google.com/p/groovypptest/ and give it a try.
Only (or already) 17 weeks ago we opened very first preview of Groovy++. It was very fresh and far from stable version - more proof of concept than anything usable. We did not know even if it is interesting experiment or something, which will become serious project.
A lot of things changed since that point.
- We implemented compiler and a lot of functionalityon top of it
- We have three times more not yet implemented ideas
- We know now that there is huge interest in community for statically typed Groovy
- We fixed (created and fixed truly speaking) 200 bugs
- We have more that 700 tests
- We even wrote some amount of documentation
- We achived Java level of performance
- We took (really hard) decision and made public promise that next version (v0.3 in 4-6 weeks from now) will be fully open-sourced
So what is Groovy++?
Groovy++ is statically typed extension of Groovy programming language, which gives together high performance of compiled code and compile type checks.
Additionally to all goodies of standard Groovy it adds a lot of functionality
- compile time checking of code
- as fast as Java performance of compiled code
- easy mixing of statically and dynamically typed code
- very powerful type inference
- tail recursion
- traits (interfaces with default implementation)
- extension methods (compile time categories)
- standard library of utilities for functional programming, concurrency and distributed computing (early prototype stage)
We are always happy to answer questions in Groovy++ Discussion Group So you are always welcome there both to learn more and share your expirience with us. At the end of the day we develop Groovy++ not only for ourselves but for you, our users.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.