Have a Reuse Strategy for Business Process Integrations
When implementing process automation initiatives, it is important to have a reuse strategy – why? Because, the process flows are a rich minefield for reusing services and common interfaces across a variety of use cases. It can also act as a service provider for other teams to invoke/integrate a common set of processing flows.
Host business process definitions and instances
- Provide a modeling and execution environment for designing and implementing business processes
- Implement a generic data structure for manipulating & orchestrating workflow state
- Provide the ability to reuse a workflow patterns across business processes. E.g. enable reuse via sub-processes, process extension points, etc.
- Provide the ability to access and orchestrate activities requiring interaction with data services and business rules, and legacy services
Act as services consumer & provider
- Host process orchestrations, while consuming persistence, validation, and security services
- Abstract legacy capabilities and reduce tight coupling between internal systems
- Publish and consume business events to reduce application to application coupling
Evolve a reusable asset catalog
- Ensure technology components and APIs have domain relevance – data, events, and relationships are fundamental abstractions need to be brought together
- Reduce learning curve for application developers to identify, evaluate, and integrate process definitions and services from a library of reusable assets