Hey, there's a Macro in my Visual Studio! (Well, there will be if you install this extension...)
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
An extension for Visual Studio 2013 that enables the use of macros in the IDE. The extension can record most of the features in Visual Studio including text editing operations.
Macros for Visual Studio 2013 is an extension for Visual Studio 2013 that enables the use of macros to automate repetitive tasks in the IDE. The extension can record most of the commands in Visual Studio including text editing operations.
Record and playback active document operations and Visual Studio IDE commands
Playback multiple times
Manage and persist macros with a Macro Explorer
Assign keyboard bindings to any macro
Macro editing in Visual Studio with DTE IntelliSense
After installing the extension, the Macro menu will appear under Tools > Macros. Under this menu, you'll find commands to record and playback a macro.
The Current macro is a temporary macro that holds the last recorded macro. To persist it, use the Macro Explorer toolbar command Save Current Macro (or right-click the Current macro). Name the new macro and assign a shortcut if you wish. The new macro will then be persisted on your file system.
- Decrease Font Size
- Increase Font Size
- Maximize Tool Windows
- Close Except Active: close all files in Visual Studio except active file
- Headify All: insert header into each C# file in the solution
- Remove and Sort All: remove unused usings and then sort, for each C# file in the solution
- Beginning of Function: moves cursor to the beginning of the current function
- Insert Date & Time
- Insert Date
- Insert Header: insert header into current C# file
- Insert Time
- Pane Center Screen
- Pane Top Screen
- Save Backup: saves active document as .bak file in current directory
Snippets (inserts code snippet)
- For Each Document: to iterate through each open document in Visual Studio
- For Each Window: to iterate through each open window in Visual Studio
- Properties: grab one of the properties in Tools >> Options
For example, (show/hide status bar):
var property = dte.Properties("Environment", "General"); property.Item("ShowStatusBar").Value = true
- Undo Context: encapsulate a single undo in macro script
- Find Line: queries find tool for current line
- Toggle Line Numbers
- Toggle Word Wrap
The following are not supported by the extension right now:
- Recording interaction with dialogs
- Recording of 'async' commands like Build may not execute as expected
- Execute a macro inside another macro
If you present, this might be a huge time saver for you. If you do the same thing, over and over in VS, this might be a huge time saver for you. If you just like the idea of have Macro's in your VS, this...
Now, we just need a "store" or gallery and/or an easy means to share our Macro's and I think we'd be good. :)
Published at DZone with permission of Greg Duncan, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.