Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
What every Java engineer should know about microservices: Reactive Microservices Architecture. Brought to you in partnership with Lightbend.
Microsoft has recently released what it calls "house
ads" these are a way to promote one of your apps from within another.
This might sound very similar to what's possible with
AdDuplex* so let's look at the similarities and differences between the two.
are a way of having PubCenter show ads for your
other apps if it doesn't have any paid ads to show.
is a cross promotion network that allows you to
show ads for other apps and in exchange they show ads for yours.
So, you see, there's similarity in that they both allow you
to show ads for your apps.
Let's look into the similarities and differences in a bit more
- Both are free for developers to use and integrate
- Both support integration with Ad Mediator and AdRotator
- Both work well as a fall-back for when no paid ads to
- Either could be used on their own to just show non-paid
- Both must have a network connection to be able to serve
- House Ads only works with PubCenter - some people don't
- House Ads is a Microsoft product - some people take
comfort in this (knowing it's from a big company). AdDuplex is independent and
grew out of the community.
- House Ads Provides a mediation capability without having
to use a mediation/rotation tool.
- House Ads are capped (at 5) per user per day so users won’t
experience "ad fatigue" from seeing the same ad repeatedly - AdDuplex
doesn't need this as it has a wide variety (1000's) of apps to show ads for
- House Ads can only be used by accounts that have multiple published
apps. AdDuplex can be used even if you only have one app in store/
- House Ads are only available in limited markets
AdDuplex can be used anywhere.
- House Ads may be prioritized over paid ads from other ad
providers - AdDuplex gives you greater control over this (via Ad Mediator or AdRotator)
So, which should you use?
Simple. Use whatever is best for you, your circumstances and
My personal opinion:
If House Ads are available to you, then, if you’re already
using PubCenter as part of your monetization solution with an existing successful
apps and you’re about to launch something new that will appeal to the users of
your existing app then House Ads are a good tool to use while your new app is
still gaining traction.
For all other scenarios and as a final fall-back in addition
to using House Ads in the above scenario, you should always include AdDuplex as
part of a multiple ad provider strategy.
* Disclaimer: I'm an advocate forAdDuplex
which means that I'm paid (a small amount) to talk about them - but all opinions are my own. Don't be fooled
though. I believed and talked about them in a positive way before I became an
advocate. That's one of the reasons I became one. If you question my
objectivity I'd love to hear why.
Microservices for Java, explained. Revitalize your legacy systems (and your career) with Reactive Microservices Architecture, a free O'Reilly book. Brought to you in partnership with Lightbend.