There will come a time when you will want to troubleshoot network issues like WCF, browser, push notifications or any type of network traffic you can think of in the Windows Phone 7 emulator. And there are tools like Fiddler and Wireshark for this. In this blog I am going to talk about a Microsoft-based solution using Microsoft Network Monitoring 3.4
There are couple of reason why I like this tool:
1) It is simpler to use and gives more info than just web traffic
2) Very easy to filter traffic based on the application
Once you download the Network Monitoring tool follow the instructions below
0) Have your Windows Phone 7 emulator ready to go
1) Start Microsoft Network Monitoring
2) Click on New Capture
3) Click on Start
4) For my test case I simply browsed to www.toetapz.com and I paused the network monitoring tool. The final view is shown below. There is XDE.EXE which is your Windows Phone 7 emulator!
Now to help you understand and search what is going on you can download these tools to analyze the data: http://nmexperts.codeplex.com/
This is definitely a viable alternative that gives you very rich information.
Try out http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/tcpanalyzer/ which can analyze your .cap (network traffic capture) file that is useful for analyzing the performance of your WCF service !