How to Speed up the Visual Studio IDE
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Here's my list. All of these can be accessed on Tools->Options menu:
- Disable F1. (Environment->Keyboard) This is probably the best advice that I found somewhere.
- Disable "Animate environment tools" (Environment->General).
- Disable Start Page (Environment->Startup).
- Disable "Track Active Item in Solution Explorer" (Projects and Solutions).
- Disable Navigation Bar (Text Editor->C#). I think this is available for every language.
- Set "AutoToolboxPopulate" to false (Windows Forms Designer).
- You can set the Code view as the default view when viewing Windows Forms. Just right-click on the cs file and select "Open With...".
- Open Visual Studio using the command line (devenv) rather than using the Start menu. I don't know why but I notice it loads faster.
- Turn off Track Changes. (Text Editor->Track changes)
Published at DZone with permission of Merrick Chaffer, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.