As publishing becomes more and more digital and interactively accessible in nature, attention spans, browsing and searching methods, tastes and customs are also changing.
More and more of us start our day with our morning cup and a blog, online news video, and/or email to catch up on to begin our days; where the norm was once the newspaper, local TV, Radio…
As we adopt technological tools to manage information, subscriptions, contacts, entertainment and relationships, we find ourselves enabled and empowered to interact more, maintain more contacts, and do so in less time, with less effort. We become more and more efficient at finding consuming more media faster with less time necessary for searching.
According to this article from emarketer.com:
Worldwide, digital ad spending passed the $100-billion mark for the first time last year, according to new eMarketer estimates, and will increase by a further 15.1% in 2013 to $118.4 billion.
That will put worldwide digital ad spending levels—including online and mobile advertising spending, other than messaging-based formats—at 21.7% of the total spent on ads in all media this year, and on track to account for more than one-quarter of all ad spending by 2016.
When you factor into the above the factor that digital advertising can be much less expensive than other forms of media, you reveal the mega-trend of billions of advertising dollars finding new reach in Social Media and Digital Media in general. Now everything else revolves around and feeds digital contacts, content, tracking, CRM, document storage, email, tracking…they all merge online at the website now.
Since almost nobody will do any business with anybody without doing research online first, you can no longer separate your overall reputation from your digital one – they are the same.
Managing ones proper name, company name, product name, reputation or all of the above online is accomplished easily, if you know how:
- Create a self-hosted WordPress or other well optimized blog (Self hosted because you own the real estate, the link authority, the clout)
- Begin Writing! It is really almost that simple: this is my fourth living E-Book. I have become published other places like DZone.com and Yahoo Voices, Yahoo News, Roiters, MSN… and this has fed me clients. Blog about what you know, what you love, and what you care about, at least weekly. (2013 5 Minute Blog Posting S.E.O. Guide | DZone)
- Re-post and otherwise distribute your unique in all the world content to groups, social networks, blogs and niche aggregates, linked back to you as the source.
- Maintain a blog, a Facebook, a Facebook Group, a Google+ Community, a Book site (to brand for future book sales, speaking engagements…WordPress Works Well), LinkedIn, LinkedIn product Page, LinkedIn Company page – you just paste a link to the original blog post and it renders a perfect post, click click, takes minutes – I reach over 4,000,000 at least twice monthly (my audience)
- Be your own best friend, fan, contact, advocate, connection, commenter and subscriber, formatting everything for SEO
Shameless plug: all these things I am doing, right here, in front of you, working from home at a mile high where I choose!