How to Build an On-Demand Uber for Handyman App
How to Build an On-Demand Uber for Handyman App
Are you an entrepreneur? This article explains how to build an on-demand Uber for handyman application, step by step.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
The on-demand business is one of the booming and profitable business ideas for an entrepreneur. The Uber for handyman app also comes under the radar of on-demand services like Uber, Netflix, etc.
Do you know that the Urban company is started by three young men with an idea of solving the day to day problem?. According to Fortune India, they have already raised about $110 million from investors and valued around $480 million.
“Paying attention to simple little things that most men neglect makes a few rich men.”
– Henry Ford
If you are striving to start your own business, then on-demand handyman business might be a better option to go with.
According to a report from businesswire.com, the on-demand home services market is expected to grow USD 869.95, at a CAGR of 52% from 2018 to 2022. Exciting right?
Hence now is the best time to start an on-demand home service business [I mean yeah handyman services].
So how can you start with? The on-demand handyman service needs the best website to go online and professionals to back your business.
There are a lot of professionals out there who are not able to find their potential customers. If you can build an Uber for a handyman app/website that can connect the professionals with potential customers, then it’ll be a huge success.
Development of On-demand Uber for Handyman App
If you are about to build a handyman app, then you need to figure out answers to the following questions,
- What are all the features that should be there to build an MVP?
- What can be the best technology that can be used?
- What is the cost of development?
Don’t worry if you don’t have a clear idea. Not everyone knows everything. Here we are going to see the answers to the above questions.
1. What Are All the Features That Should Be There to Build an MVP?
The three main users of the Uber for handyman app are the professionals who want to connect with the customers, the admin/platform owner, and the customer.
So you have to build three different solutions with personalized features and functionalities for them like,
- Admin panel
- Professional/Handyman App
- Customer App
Let’s discuss the three in detail with their unique set of features and functionalities,
It’s the master panel that controls all the main functionalities of the on-demand Uber for the handyman app. Admin panel contains some unique set of features like,
- Bookings management – The admin can track the current and past booking details along with the professional’s details and User’s details. They are also able to see the fare amount for the recent and past services via booking management features.
- Manage customers and professionals – This feature enables the admin to add, remove, or even warn the professionals who have bad reputations among the customers. Also, they can ban or unban customers from the platform.
- Site management – The admin has complete access over the platform, they can change the website’s logo, content, and some technical elements like URL, meta description, etc.
- Cancellation details – This feature in the handyman admin panel allows the admin to view the canceled bookings and the reason for cancellation.
- Manage notifications – Admin can send the push notifications to both customers and the professionals regarding any important announcements, Festive wishes, offers, etc.
Some other features that can also be included in the admin panel are earning reports management, managing service categories, analytics, etc.
Professionals who need to connect with the customers have separate applications to manage the process. They can use the application to share the service they provide and accept bookings directly from the customers.
Some of the features tailored to match the needs of the professionals are,
- Add/Edit personal information – At first, the professionals should register themselves on the platform by providing their mobile number. By using Twilio verification, an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number to avoid suspicious activities. Then they can be able to add, change, or remove their details.
- Payout method – The professionals can receive the payments for their service via card or even through online payment integrations.
- Service Requests – This feature allows the handymen to accept or reject the service requests from the customers. If they cancel the request, they need to mention the reason for cancellation by either using the list of options given or they can type manually.
- Earning reports – The professionals can view the earning reports directly from the application. They can filter the results by weekly, monthly, or yearly earning reports.
The applications of customers have several features to enhance the user experience. They can go through the service listed and book the service needed in a quick time.
Let’s discuss some features of customer application,
- One-click signup – This feature enables the user to log in to the application hassle-free. Just by entering the mobile number and the OTP they can easily log in to the application.
- Multiple service list – The customer can scroll through the list of services available and book the needed service quickly.
- Fare estimation – The service fare can be calculated before the service booking, this allows the customer to know the exact fare for the service they opted.
- Payment Options – The customer can pay for the service via cards, in-app wallets, or the best in class payment gateways. In-app wallets can also be recharged via cards.
Now you got some feature ideas to build a minimum viable product for the handyman app. It’s time for us to move on to the next question.
2. What Can Be the Best Technology That Can Be Used?
Choosing the right technology is the most vital part of Uber for handyman app development. Building your app with the right technology not only enhances the quality of your product but also it helps you stand out from your competitors.
The best technology that can be used to build an MVP of the handyman app will be Flutter.
What is Flutter? Flutter is an open-source portable UI toolkit powered by Google to build cross-platform native applications.
Why Flutter? Flutter is now the better choice over react native among developers. According to venturebeat.com, almost 500,000 developers are using Flutter monthly.
Some reasons to choose Flutter are,
- Flexible widgets
- Faster development and increase in productivity
- Single codebase
- Best community support
- Firebase integration
Decide what are all the features and technologies that can be used based on your needs. Now it’s the time to discuss one of the most important parts of development, yeah “COST”.
3. Cost of Developing Uber for Handyman App
The development cost of any application depends on the features and functionality you choose to be in your application.
Factors influencing the cost of development are,
- Features and Functionality
- Application platforms
- Additional integrations
- Testing, etc.
To develop a full-fledged application it may take up to 600 – 1200 hours depending on the complexity of the application.
[Since the features and workflow of Uber for handyman app is the same as the on-demand Uber-like app]
According to codementor.io, the total time required to develop an MVP of an on-demand Uber-like app will be around 308 – 382 hours. Then, the total cost to develop a minimum viable product will be around 30000$.
30000$, I know that’s huge for a startup to invest in. But there’s another way to start your dream business which is buying a readymade script.
The ready-made on-demand Script too has every required feature to build a minimum viable product. They cost roughly around 1500 to 3500$ and if you need some additional features you can customize it too.
There are a lot of pre-built applications available in the market. Choose the best on-demand application that matches your business profile and customize it based on your preferences.
So, we’ve discussed how to build your on-demand handyman app for your business.
I know it’s not so easy to build the best application but we have to do whatever it takes to build one.
But with the help of Wooberly, you may fulfill the dream of starting your own business.
Published at DZone with permission of Mohamed Natheem . See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.