How to Help the Travel Industry Take Bookings Into the Cloud
As an example of using the Container Development Kit, I'll present here the JBoss Travel Agency Project.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
We have been discussing why application developers can't ignore their stack anymore in the App Dev Cloud Stack series.
We talked about the various layers from the bottom up, but have yet to provide you with any application development tooling beyond the Red Hat Container Development Kit (CDK). All you have so far is an easy-to-install project called the Container Development Kit Install Demo.
We then provided two getting started projects with JBoss BRMS and JBoss BPM Suite products running on the Red Hat CDK. These were just initial setups of the products and the projects you can create there are left up to you to develop.
Today we bring you a travel industry example with the JBoss Travel Agency running on the OpenShift Enterprise layer of your stack, provided by our Red Hat CDK installation.
You can now fully demo and leverage a travel industry booking example based on JBoss BPM Suite through the business central web console running containerized on an OSE pod.
Booking Your Travel in the Cloud
We will be leveraging previous work that installs the Red Hat CDK. The Red Hat CDK is packaged into an RHEL 7 virtual machine that you can start on your machine after installing this project. There are several choices provided with pre-configured installations, but they all include the basic setup for Docker and the tools needed to start leveraging Docker-based containers.
The following container must be started after installing this project for you to get started with the JBoss Travel Agency booking project:
- OpenShift Enterprise - a containerized version of OpenShift Enterprise can be started that can be accessed through a Web console in your browser or via the OpenShift command line tools. Explore your very own private PaaS developer experience with this container.
Now that the you have the OpenShift Enterprise image up and running, you can start moving the JBoss Cool Store application into the Cloud with the following steps:
- First, complete the installation and start the OpenShift image supplied in the cdk-install-demo.
- Install OpenShift Client Tools if you have not done so previously.
- Download and unzip this demo.
- Add products to installs directory.
- Run 'init.sh' or 'init.bat' file. 'init.bat' must be run with Administrative privileges.
- Login to start exploring a travel agency booking project:
( u:erics / p:jbossbrms1! )
Now you are up and running with a fully installed, Cloud-ready JBoss Travel Agency project!
For more information aabout containers, a Cloud stack, and why you need to care about this containerized stack for your application development, see the App Dev Cloud Stack series that takes you on a tour of the Red Hat Cloud Suite.
Stay tuned for more!
Published at DZone with permission of Eric D. Schabell, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.