I was working with a site and trying to select an element via its
<p id="select.me.by.id">Select Me By My id</p>
Simples, thought me:
So, I did what all good Selenium debuggers do… I tried in the browser but Chrome didn’t match it.
Tempted though I was to blame Chrome, I tried with XPath, and that worked fine:
After a bit of web searching, the solution was clear.
In CSS, I wasn’t saying: find the id
I was saying find the id
select with class
mebyid which was not at all what I wanted.
Fortunately, CSS offers escaping, which I didn’t realize.
Until the app is fixed I can locate the id using CSS with: