Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
Discover how to focus on operators for Reactive Programming and how they are essential to react to data in your application. Brought to you in partnership with Wakanda.
HP announced three new WebOS devices: The cell phones Pre 3 and Veer and the tablet TouchPad.
|The TouchPad’s virtual keyboard has a row of keys with numbers and function-key-activated symbols [picture by HP].
- HP TouchPad [Engadget]:
- Weight, dimensions, display: more or less the same as the iPad.
- Dual-core 1.2 GHz processor (the dual core is what makes it really fast).
- Lots of RAM: 1GB. Well done. Compare to iPad (256MB) and iPhone (512MB).
- Front-facing 1.3 megapixel webcam, support for video calling.
- Phone integration: exchange notification and texts.
- The virtual keyboard has an additional row with numbers where characters such as the @ symbol can by typed via a function key (see picture above). This has been a major peeve of mine on the iPad.
- Accessory: Touchstone, a stand that charges the TouchPad via induction (no wire or connector).
- Kindle and Skype apps will be available.
- HP Pre 3 [Engadget]:
- Larger 800 x 480 display, same 3.6" display
- Fast 1.4GHz processor (single core)
- HSPA+ and EVDO Rev A (world phone!)
- Exhibition mode: Displays special apps such as clocks when in a dock
- HP Veer [Engadget]:
- Cute mini version of the Pre 3 (see picture below)
- 2.6" 320 x 400 display
|The Veer is a mini version of the Pre 3 [picture by HP]
- WebOS versions:
- TouchPad: WebOS 3.0 (new version)
- Pre3, Veer: WebOS 2.2
- The Palm brand is gone, it’s all HP now. The WebOS brand stays.
- HP Pre is quite a bit harder to pronounce than Palm Pre.
- Phones and the TouchPad support Touch-to-Share “a feature that lets users easily transfer a website, document, song, text or call from the phone to the tablet – or vice versa – simply by tapping the two devices together.” [Engadget]
- WebOS will come to PCs, printers and possibly other form factors later this year. No other details are available on this, yet. [Engadget]
- Planned availability: spring for the Veer, summer for TouchTab and Pre 3. That’s a long time to wait for the latter two! Especially the TouchTab will face stiff competition with Android Honeycomb tables and the iPad 2 imminent and thus probably preceding it by a few months.
Learn how divergent branches can appear in your repository and how to better understand why they are called “branches". Brought to you in partnership with Wakanda.
Published at DZone with permission
Axel Rauschmayer, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.