Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
Visually compose APIs with easy-to-use tooling. Learn how IBM API Connect provides near-universal access to data and services both on-premises and in the cloud, brought to you in partnership with IBM.
HP announced three new WebOS devices: The cell phones Pre 3 and Veer and the tablet TouchPad.
|The TouchPad’s virtual keyboard has a row of keys with numbers and function-key-activated symbols [picture by HP].|
- HP TouchPad [Engadget]:
- Weight, dimensions, display: more or less the same as the iPad.
- Dual-core 1.2 GHz processor (the dual core is what makes it really fast).
- Lots of RAM: 1GB. Well done. Compare to iPad (256MB) and iPhone (512MB).
- Front-facing 1.3 megapixel webcam, support for video calling.
- Phone integration: exchange notification and texts.
- The virtual keyboard has an additional row with numbers where
characters such as the @ symbol can by typed via a function key (see picture above). This has been a major peeve of mine on the iPad.
- Accessory: Touchstone, a stand that charges the TouchPad via
induction (no wire or connector).
- Kindle and Skype apps will be available.
- HP Pre 3 [Engadget]:
- Larger 800 x 480 display, same 3.6" display
- Fast 1.4GHz processor (single core)
- HSPA+ and EVDO Rev A (world phone!)
- Exhibition mode: Displays special apps such as clocks when in a dock
- HP Veer [Engadget]:
- Cute mini version of the Pre 3 (see picture below)
- 2.6" 320 x 400 display
|The Veer is a mini version of the Pre 3 [picture by HP]|
- WebOS versions:
- TouchPad: WebOS 3.0 (new version)
- Pre3, Veer: WebOS 2.2
- The Palm brand is gone, it’s all HP now. The WebOS brand stays.
- HP Pre
is quite a bit harder to pronounce than Palm Pre.
- Phones and the TouchPad support Touch-to-Share “a feature that lets users easily transfer a website,
document, song, text or call from the phone to the tablet – or vice
versa – simply by tapping the two devices together.” [Engadget]
- WebOS will come to PCs, printers and possibly other form factors later this year. No other details are available on this, yet. [Engadget]
- Planned availability: spring for the Veer, summer for TouchTab and
Pre 3. That’s a long time to wait for the latter two! Especially the
TouchTab will face stiff competition with Android Honeycomb tables and
the iPad 2 imminent and thus probably preceding it by a few months.
The Mobile Zone is brought to you in partnership with Strongloop and IBM. Visually compose APIs with easy-to-use tooling. Learn how IBM API Connect provides near-universal access to data and services both on-premises and in the cloud.
Published at DZone with permission of
Axel Rauschmayer, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.