The email client and operational processes involved are based upon how business was done 30 years ago.
The Need for Change
Introducing IBM Verse
|At IBM's Design Studio in New York's Silicon Alley, employees Catherine Gillespie and Kevin Chiu demonstrate IBM Verse, a new social collaboration tool that goes beyond email|
- It is an evolution beyond email towards a “New Way of Working”.
- through the introduction of social analytics capabilities, IBM Verse gets to know you.
- it learns to identify the people and patterns in how you work.
- and then draws your attention to the messages, meetings and tasks that you care about.
- it introduces completely new possibilities for how you get work done.
- and it’s social, bringing your community and network engagement to you.
- and from a single point, you can choose what is the most appropriate manner to communicate – via eMail, a Blog post, a chat session
IBM Verse - A New Way of Working for the 21st Century
- A listing of emails received since mail was last actioned, classified through social analytics to recognize communication from your direct manager, co-workers, direct reports, external people etc
- Items you owe people and items others owe you and when these are needed
- Who is engaging with you the most in the last 5 day
- Your next meeting, your free time today plus all the interactions from within your Enterprise Social network.
IBM Verse redefined Collaboration and supports a New Way of Work
- When a file is uploaded access rights are prompted as are the ability for people to be readers or editor.
- Two-click sharing is easy with permissions automatically changing and notification of actions being communicated.
- Share-on-send is smart enough to manage permissions for me based on my actions without duplicating files. One version of the truth remains, not multiple within personal inboxes.
- Posting information direct from email to Blogs or Communities are a one step process.
Mobility and IBM Verse
IBM’s mobile experience is designed in parallel to their web experience so users don't skip a beat when they step outside the office. The mobile IBM Verse experience will be available on iOS and Android first, and will be integrated with leading MDM and MAM providers. IBM is leveraging its strategic relationship with Apple to help in creating our iOS app and will utilize the updated iOS 8 to bring this experience to life.
IBM Verse in Use
The Future with IBM Verse
I stated previously that IBM Verse is not another new email client. Far from it. With the initial release of IBM Verse aimed squarely at re-imagining the inbox with capabilities allowing end-users to regain control over the flood and scatter of email, team analytics, faceted search, rich integration with Social and sharing, easy on-boarding and support for web and mobile devices.
Imagine what could happen if IBM places its muscle behind IBM Verse by exploiting analytics-based integration with cognitive technology.
In this area IBM also announced that clients using IBM Verse would also have the future option to embed a Watson feature into their collaboration environment. This will enables users to query Watson on a given topic and receive a direct reply with answers ranked by degree of confidence.
The screen shot below shows an implementation of IBM Watson within IBM highlighting the power that cognitive computing could also have in supporting a new way of working with IBM Verse.
Will IBM make a Significant Impact on the Market?
- What the business world needs now is simplicity and a convergence of technologies; not another separate tool.
- What we need are Search Engine tools based upon Open Standards, so that interoperability is assured.
- We also want an easy way to collaborate with the people that matter to us most.
- Most importantly we want a way to take back control of our day, and ignoring the existing productivity issues brought through email is not going to make those issues go away.
- July 2014 Partnership with Apple to develop a new class of industry specific business apps to transform enterprise mobility.
- September 2014 Watson Analytics to put powerful yet easy-to-use predictive and visual analytics tools in the palm of your hand,
- October 2014 IBM Navigator to boost personal and team productivity by allowing users to easily and securely access, edit and share business documents.
- Most recently, the global partnership with Twitter to transform how businesses understand customers, markets and trends by using Twitter data to make more informed decisions.