ID-GEM is a model that functions through a "Process-as-a-Service" type model for software development projects and project management. Project managers can take a short questionnaire that matches ID-GEM process guidelines with the organization's objectives, values and application-type characteristics.
For software and business teams, ID-GEM comes into play before the development process starts, and provides useful input for the entire requirements planning process. This is vitally important as the speed of software delivery increases and the negative impact of misaligned projects becomes more significant. With ID-GEM, development teams are better aligned with pre-determined business goals and have a clear understanding of what various stakeholders, including marketing, sales, customer service and operations, need.
The ID-GEM planning tool provides a practical, five-step process that includes:
- Identify Value: Defines the primary business value that needs to be achieved with the software, both short- and long-term.
- Discovery Process: A series of specific discovery questions to uncover the desired outcomes and benefits needed to achieve the value propositions outlined in Step One.
- Goal Creation: Defines a set of goals and associated design features to drive the outcomes and benefits.
- Evaluate Outcomes: Determines the exact data criteria that will be used to evaluate the software features.
- Measure Success: Helps analyze application performance data to ensure teams and the software being developed is always focused on achieving primary business value.
This framework is consistently a vital, yet often overlooked, step in the software delivery process. Larger, more sophisticated organizations having the resources to embrace business value in every software project, many smaller companies can benefit from a well-thought-out and practical process framework.
Organizations of all types need to build software faster under increasingly complex conditions, a significant gap in planning has emerged between initial idea and requirements setting. ID-GEM planning tool helps small-to-mid-sized organizations - that often lack the resources to fully uncover and consider the full, desired business value of a project - identify and integrate business value into software projects before any requirements are ever outlined. ID-GEM ensures that software projects are value-driven, not based on features and functions that may or may not deliver on the initial promise of a project.