Improve Application Responsiveness With Terracotta for Hibernate
The Performance Zone is presented by AppDynamics. Scalability and better performance are constant concerns for the developer and operations manager. Try AppDynamics' fully-featured performance tool for Java, .NET, PHP, & Node.js.
Terracotta released version 3.1 today, which includes Terracotta for Hibernate, a plug-in distributed cache for the Hibernate frame. Along with last months acquisition of EhCache, this continues Terracotta's moves to become the definitive solution for scalable Java applications. Including the Hibernate plug-in is bound to increase the usefulness and relevance of Terracotta across the Java community.
Terracotta will help to reduce the load on the database that Hibernate can cause - results of tests run show that it will help reduce latency to sub-millisecond response times.
"Terracotta 3.1 fills a long-standing gap in object-relational mapping technology, one that has driven unnecessarily high database spending for a few years," said Ari Zilka, chief technology officer and co-founder of Terracotta.
"Hibernate combined with Terracotta gives developers the development simplicity they sought in ORMs in the first place, with the high throughput their customers demand, along with less tuning hassle, all for dramatically lower cost."
A getting starting guide has been provided to show you how you can take advantage of the performance gain with Terracotta for Hibernate. You'll need Terracotta 3.1 and any version of Hibernate since 3.2.5. Integration seems quite straightforward, with a simple annotation that directs which entities should be cached within your application:
It seems to me that if you've been looking for the right time to add caching to your JavaEE application, this could be the excuse you need. Here's the complete rundown on what Terracotta for Hibernate will give you:
- High Performance, Coherent Distributed Cache- Increase application capacity by ten times by reducing database load from 30-90 percent;
- Unmatched Workload Visualization- Terracotta for Hibernate`s dashboard is the only product that provides a cluster-wide view of all Hibernate activity,showing you at a glance how much load is taken off your database. Get individual server statistics, as well as aggregate cluster-wide views of key Hibernate and cache statistics;
- Hibernate Optimized for Clustered Operation- Terracotta for Hibernate uses the Terracotta scalability platform to optimize Hibernate in the context of a cluster of application servers;
- Runtime Configuration and Control-Developers and operators gain runtime control over critical cache settings like per region cacheability and time-to-live (TTL) and time-to-idle (TTI) parameters; and
- Broad Container Support - Terracotta 3.1 supports a wide array of Javacontainers, including Apache Tomcat, Oracle Weblogic, Jetty, JBoss and Sun Glassfish.