Eclipse is my favorite editor, or more precisely my favorite integrated development environment, simply IDE. I do not really have very strong arguments for why I prefer it, I just always did. In fact, today it gave me all kinds of exceptions because I tried to install a newer version of a plugin, and appearantly I did it wrong. I don't know what I did wrong, and I did not know how to fix it. That's why I decided to do it differently this time.
I install my plugins by adding a new remote site and selecting my options. In one of the following screens there is an option to change the path where you install the plugin. See the screenshot.
So if I something goes wrong I just remove that path and download the plugin again. This trick will hopefully prevent me from having trouble with plugins again. When you try to do this make sure to select all the entries in the screen where the installation path can be changed. Otherwise only the selected item will be installed in your custom location.