Installation of SharePoint 2016 Server
Installation of SharePoint 2016 Server
This article describes the steps for installing the stand-alone SharePoint 2016 server without a domain controller.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
IT preview of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016 has been hooked up on the internet since August 2015 and everybody has been digging up its features since then.
This article mainly describes the steps for installing the stand-alone SharePoint 2016 server without a domain controller.
Note: These steps are only for configuring SharePoint 2016 environment for development or learning purposes.
- Before installing, make sure you have Windows Server 2012 R2 (Standard or Datacenter) edition installed as Operating System and SharePoint 2016 prerequisites and SQL Server 2014 SP1 are successfully installed as well.
Go through this article for installing SQL Server 2014 in your environment.
Installation of SQL Server 2014 SP1
Prerequisites of SharePoint 2016 Installation
After successful installation of both SQL Server 2014 sp1 and SharePoint 2016 prerequisites, go through the following steps:
- Please locate setup.exe file from SP2016 software packages.
2. Enter the product key for SharePoint 2016 server. If you want to install the trial or evaluation version, then please find the key from Microsoft sites.
3. Please accept the license agreement.
4. Select the path where you want to have this software to be installed. Then press “Install Now.”
5. Now, it will ask for “Run Configuration Wizard”
6. Once the SharePoint configuration wizard window appears, press “Next.”
7. Please press “Yes.”
8. Now make sure “Create a new server farm” is selected/enabled.
9. Please provide the database server name. Here I have installed the database in the same server where SharePoint 2016 is installed. If this is the case, then provide “localhost.”
Note: Now you can provide the farm account details, which is “Administrator” in my case.
10. Now you will see this below mentioned screen with an error message. This will only happen if your account is not an AD account.
11. To overcome this issue, please open SharePoint 2016 Management Shell as “Run as administrator.” Copy the below mentioned command and paste it on your management shell. Then you need to provide the database server name and Passphrase name. Now execute this command from this management shell.
Note: Never forget your passphrase details as this is required when you try to connect to your existing SharePoint 2016 farm.
New-SPConfigurationDatabase –DatabaseName SharePoint_Config –DatabaseServer <provide database server name> –AdministrationContentDatabaseName SharePoint_Content –Passphrase (ConvertTo-SecureString SharePoint2016 –AsPlaintext –Force) –FarmCredentials (Get-Credential) -localserverrole SingleServerFarm
12. Now it will ask for the credentials. Please provide the credentials details in form of “computername\Administrator” and then enter the correct password.
13. Please select “Yes.”
14. Now you can see the details as its shown below. Please make sure “Do not disconnect from this server farm” is selected. Then press “Next.”
15. Please provide the port number for a central administration web application. Then press “Next.”
16. Please verify the details about your configuration as its shown below. If everything is correct, press “Next.”
17. Now “Configuration SharePoint Products” will try to install all respective components.
18. If everything goes well, you will get the “Configuration Successful” message as shown below. Now click “Finish.”
19. Now it will prompt for configuring your SharePoint farm. If you want to configure it right away, click on “Start the Wizard.”
20. Please select “Use existing managed account” and click on Ok/Finish button.
Now your SharePoint farm has been successfully configured and you can open the Central Administration to verify the things.
I hope this article helps you in installing the SharePoint 2016 standalone environment without AD or domain controller account for development purposes.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.