IoT Application Development: Tips to Make it a Success
IoT Application Development: Tips to Make it a Success
Follow these tips to make your IoT applications a huge success!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
IoT application development is not just limited to connecting devices on a network but is more perplexing than any other business solution. As the development of IoT solutions and systems is at its full pace, it is of utmost importance to understand the necessities and stack involved in an IoT application.
IoT is considered as a system of systems that comprises of physical things, various communication mediums/ channels, and a combination of complete software solutions, including data and operations. Some inclusions are:
- The physical devices, generally the hardware unit with an inbuilt program that regulates device mechanism and performance.
- A series of networking channels or communication mediums through which devices transmit information that follows standard protocols.
- IoT application development framework, which constitutes:
Data analytics and incorporation abilities
- Integrated business logic that processes and encrypts data to validate and translate input messages sent to and received by any connected device.
- A web/mobile interface for the user
Now since we know the basic ingredients (devices, communication, and application framework) of developing an IoT system, let us take a look at how to select the proper elements to get a perfect solution.
Selecting the Perfect Device
It is essential to select the proper hardware and device as it facilitates the movement of data back and onwards. With new devices being introduced almost every day, the continuous upgrade and maintenance are required. While choosing a device for IoT, ensure the following characteristics:
- A higher degree of data storage and processing
- Have better control over data attainment and mechanism control, which means implemented with sensors that collect data in real time and translate the same into digital readings for required outcomes.
- Devices need to communicate with each other over the defined network, and thus, it is expected to have extremely good connectivity so as to publish data to apps and services in the cloud.
- Talking about portable and other wearable devices that work with batteries or solar source of energy, effective power management is necessary. Since hardware devices have integrated circuits, microcontroller boards, and computers, attached sensors and a huge volume of data storage need to have a proper set of power management.
- Look for devices that can function well under environmental circumstances, such as temperature, humidity, underwater setups, outdoor units, indoor units, altitudes, etc.
- Opt for devices that are certified by regulatory authorities regarded to your industry.
Hand-Picking the Best Communication Channel
When it comes to picking the best communication medium, we need to have an understanding of the options that are supported by the device we selected. These options include Bluetooth, LAN, cellular, WAN, Wi-Fi, or any other satellite communication that includes features that facilitates seamless communication such as:
- Signal strength
- Radio signal frequency
- Other security concerns
IoT Application Development Frameworks
This framework is often referred to as the IoT platform. Hence while IoT application development, one must ensure to regard platforms that offer ready templates, in-build modules, and framework that are coupled with hardware mechanisms so that it can quickly integrate and translate data, saving implementation time and money.
Internet of Things is a highly complex networking ecosystem and, thus, needs to automate data plays a key role while selecting an IoT platform or developing a customized one. If you opt for selecting from the available IoT platforms for developing your IoT application, here are some considerations to take care of:
- The IoT application development platform providers have hidden rates and, thus, could trouble you if the features or requirements are not clear right from conception.
- Be transparent about the expenses you want to make, as the licensing of the software may cause huge finances to your business.
- Look for a platform that has hardware cost included with the application.
- Understand the crucial element of your business, whether it is time or money. It is essential to define this because many platform providers charge a huge amount as they have automation tools and framework that allows ready integration of data.
Along with the above considerations, look out for platforms that can provide better device management, reliable network management module, and a wholesome application development element. Though there are platforms in the market that assure some of these elements if not all, however, if you are clear about the development strategy and functions of your application, platform integration is just a piece of cake.
However, if you are looking for a customized IoT application for your business, the step-by-step solution includes:
- A network program necessarily called listener service, capable of processing secured messaging between devices. As the IoT solution is a complex network, it requires highly configured network solutions or a listener service for better connectivity between devices. This step of development is also called data assimilation.
- The data processing module where the business logic layer is created for functions such as user account set up, registration, access allocation, data validation, payments or other transaction processing, managing device communications, handling errors etc. The business logic layer is designed such that it processes and enable multi-user volumes.
- The third and the strongest stage of IoT development process- the integration. Creating a tailored solution does not mean that you are done with the previous portfolio. In fact, integrating the older portfolio with the new solution allows seamless communication.
- No matter how well you have designed your solution, an engaging user interface is what makes an application personalized and appealing. Right from dashboards to user account panels and device management interface, a good User Interface also provides better search functions and easy access to configured devices.
- Database and data storage are the next steps towards IoT application development. Ensure that the database is planned using big data analytics and technology to allow flexibility, scalability and high performance.
- Lastly, make sure to analyze and monitor the IoT solution to have clarity and insight on the performance.
The tips suggested and mentioned here are not specific to any programming language or any other IoT-related concerns but are common IoT application development considerations that assist any business or individual to focus on the right mix of IoT development techniques for specific requirements.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.