iPad tips and tricks
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
- If you hold and then let go, a default key in the pop-up menu will be pressed. In some cases this key is the same as the original key (“n” on the English keyboard), in other cases it is different (on the German keyboard, “u” leads to a “ü” and a comma leads to an apostrophe).
- If you hold and then slide to a key in the pop-up menu, that key will be typed.
- If the default key in the pop-up menu is different from the original key, you can also slide up starting in the original key and the default key will be typed. This is quicker than holding.
- Shut down: press and hold Sleep/Wake button until red slider appears.
- Reset (forced restart): press and hold both Sleep/Wake and Home button.
- Force-quit an application: press and hold Sleep/Wake button until red slider appears. Then press and hold home button.
- Mute the sound: Hold the volume-down (=less volume) button.
- Scrolling nested areas in Safari: Sometimes there is a scrollable area inside a (scrollable) document. If you try to move the smaller area with your finger, all of the document moves. Solution: Use two fingers to scroll the smaller area. To try it out, you can go to this page and scroll the text areas.
- Vertical scroll lock: If you start scrolling straight down or up, a view locks into vertical scrolling and prevents accidental horizontal scrolling.
- Download a URL into GoodReader: Just prefix a “g” to the URL (so “http://...” becomes “ghttp://...” etc.). This allows you to copy a URL, paste it into a browsers address bar, prefix a “g”, and download it. Or you can download the current page by prefixing a “g”.
- The first day of the week in the calendar: can be configured in iCal, but unfortunately not on the iPad. Details: macbitz.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/ipad-little-known-difference-between-uk-and-us/
- Download the iPad user guide: at support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
Published at DZone with permission of Axel Rauschmayer, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.