Java 7 has been released!
Five years after Java 6, Oracle has just released Java 7 ! This is the first release of Java since Oracle bought Sun Microsystems. This new version of Java introduces a lot of new features, but some of the languages new features will be introduced in Java 8 as stated by the “Plan B”.
In this version, there some great new language features, as stated by the JSR 334 :
- Strings in switch
- Binary integral literals and underscores in numeric literals
- Multi-catch and more precise rethrow
- Improved Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation (diamond)
- try-with-resources statement
- Simplified Varargs Method Invocation
A new bytecode instruction has been added to the virtual machine, InvokeDynamic.
You can download Java SE 7 on the Oracle website.
I think it was time now for Java to have a new version with some refreshing, and it’s IMO a good new version that we have now. I just hope that the next version, Java 8, will be here in less than five years to give us the closures.