- Lambda expressions: a new language feature that enables you to treat functionality as a method argument, or code as data.
- Other significant enhancements and changes to the Java language and standard libraries including default methods, the new java.util.stream package, and the Date-Time API.
- Compact Profiles contain predefined subsets of the Java SE platform and enable applications that do not require the entire Platform to be deployed and run on small devices.
- Security enhancements include updates to the Java Cryptography Architecture; limited doPrivileged, a mechanism that enables code to assert a subset of its privileges; SSL/TLS Server Name Indication (SNI) Extension; and keystore enhancements.
- JavaFX documentation has been updated for this release.
- Java Mission Control 5.3 is included in JDK 8.
- Decommission of the JVM Permanent Generation space and replaced by theMetaspace.
Java 8 is Now Released!
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Microservices! They are everywhere, or at least, the term is. When should you use a microservice architecture? What factors should be considered when making that decision? Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Why is everyone so excited about them, anyway? Brought to you in partnership with IBM.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.