Java API for RESTful Web Services 2.1
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
A proposal for JAX-RS 2.1 has been recently submitted to the JCP, this news was a bit overshadowed by the Java EE 8 Platform submission announcement but it is also important. It is important as JAX-RS is a significant technology of the the Java EE Platform but JAX-RS is also very relevant outside of the platform. It is not uncommon to see more specific RESTful based applications built upon a standalone JAX-RS implementation. And with the Client API introduced in JAX-RS 2.0, JAX-RS is also getting more and more relevant in the client space.
JAX-RS 2.1 (JSR 370) has now entered the JSR Review Ballot for a 2 weeks period (ends on September 22). The proposed scope of JAX-RS 2.1 currently includes :
- Adding support for Server-Sent Events
- Improving integration with CDI
- Exploring support for non-blocking I/O in providers (filters, interceptors, etc.)
- Evaluating ways in which declarative security can be supported
- Providing integration with JSON-B
- Making JAXB conditional on runtimes where it is available
- Building upon the hypermedia API introduced in version 2.0
- Investigating the reactive programming paradigm as a way to improve the JAX-RS asynchronous client API
- Evaluating any requirements necessary to support the use of JAX-RS resource classes as controllers in the MVC 1.0 JSR
Even tough JAX-RS 2.1 will be a 'minor' release; its current scope is quite large in terms of added features!
And if you are attending JavaOne, here are a few JAX-RS related sessions that you should consider attending :
- Let’s Talk JAX-RS.next! [CON3864]
- The Future of MVC in JAX-RS [CON3353]
- Java API for JSON Binding: Introduction and Update [CON5307]
- JSON Pointer and JSON Patch: Updates to the Java API for JSON Processing [CON5742]
- RESTful Microservices [CON3786]
- New and Noteworthy in Jersey 2 [CON3782]
- Securing JAX-RS Services with OAuth 2 [CON3774]
- Java EE 8 [CON3015]
- Meet the Java EE Specification Leads [BOF3031]
Published at DZone with permission of Reza Rahman, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.