I presented an overview of Java concurrency — past, present, and future — to my fellow Phoenix Software Engineering Reading Group members on August 14, 2013. We covered a lot of material in a very short amount of time; for the group, and anyone else interested, here are some resources for further reading.
- My presentation slides are available from phx-softcrafties GitHub.
- JavaWorld article on synchronized, wait/notify, Executors, Futures, and Synchronizers.
- JavaWorld article on Locks, Fork/Join, Atomic Variables, and Java 8.
- Akka: Actors, Futures, and STM.
- Multiverse: STM.
- Netflix presentation on Functional Reactive Java (RxJava).
- Oracle’s Lambda Quick Start page has a few nice examples of what’ll be possible in Java 8.