Java Web Frameworks Comparison
As a part of ongoing effort of comparing Java web frameworks I added JSF to the list on http://jtomato.sourceforge.net.
The following chart shows the amount of code necessary for 4 different applications:
- empty - an empty XHTML 1.0 page with the title "Test" should be generated
- helloWorld - a page with the content "Hello, world!" should be generated
- helloUser - a page with an input field for a user's name is displayed. Post redirects to another page which shows the message "Hello, <userName>!"
- linkEditor - a simple editor for a tree of links
I also used my prototype JTomato as the base line.
My conclusions are:
- whether Struts nor JSF scale in terms of amount of code
- JSF is even more verbose than Struts
I admit that that the choosed applications may be not big enough to prove which framework is better, but do you really expect these lines on the chart below to cross somewhere? How big should a project become for JSF to be better than Struts?
The next framework I will test will be probably GWT. I am really curious how good it is.