JDK 6 Update 18 Bundles VisualVM 1.2.1
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Java VisualVM, the JDK monitoring and troubleshooting tool, has been upgraded to version 1.2.1 in the recently released JDK 6 Update 18 (see the JDK Release Notes). This is a major VisualVM update introducing a lot of new features and improvements since JDK 6 Update 17. The most significant news are:
- sampling performance and memory profiler (VisualVM-Sampler plugin)
- redesigned charts with dynamic tooltips, public API for 3rd party plugins
- monitor graphs and threads timeline can be saved to application snapshots
- OQL scripting support in HeapWalker
- customizable proxy settings, support for customizing SSL certificates (VisualVM-Security plugin)
Detailed list of changes is available in VisualVM 1.2 Release Notes and VisualVM 1.2.1 Release Notes. The sampling profiler is described in this DZone article. The JDK 6 Update 18 can be downloaded at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.