JDK 6 Update 18 Bundles VisualVM 1.2.1
Java VisualVM, the JDK monitoring and troubleshooting tool, has been upgraded to version 1.2.1 in the recently released JDK 6 Update 18 (see the JDK Release Notes). This is a major VisualVM update introducing a lot of new features and improvements since JDK 6 Update 17. The most significant news are:
- sampling performance and memory profiler (VisualVM-Sampler plugin)
- redesigned charts with dynamic tooltips, public API for 3rd party plugins
- monitor graphs and threads timeline can be saved to application snapshots
- OQL scripting support in HeapWalker
- customizable proxy settings, support for customizing SSL certificates (VisualVM-Security plugin)
Detailed list of changes is available in VisualVM 1.2 Release Notes and VisualVM 1.2.1 Release Notes. The sampling profiler is described in this DZone article. The JDK 6 Update 18 can be downloaded at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads.