Jt - Java Pattern Oriented Framework (Jt 2.9)
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Jt2.9 has been released. Jt is a pattern oriented framework for the rapid implementation of Java applications. Jt has been utilized in several large mission critical systems. Jt implements many well-known patterns including Data Access Objects (DAO), GoF design patterns and J2EE patterns.
Jt2.9 features several enhancements to the Jt components and a version of the Jt automated Wizard (JtWizard). The Jt Wizard is an application built on top of the Jt framework that provides automated capabilities for generating framework applications. The Jt Wizard is able to automatically generate application modules based on several design patterns including Jt Messaging, DAO, MVC and GoF. The current Jt Wizard implementation provides integration with MVC Struts and DAO Hibernate. DAO mapping files, Struts configurations files, Views (JSPs), Java classes are automatically built by the Jt Wizard. The Jt Wizard is also a reference web application implemented using the Jt framework.
The framework addresses the following goals and requirements:
A) The pattern oriented framework implements and/or facilitates the implementation of well-known design patterns like GoF design patterns and J2EE Design patterns. The framework itself is conceived and implemented based on design patterns (from the ground up). The framework facilitates and accelerates the implementation of applications based on design patterns.
B) The framework architecture is based on a messaging design pattern: framework objects is able to interchange information and perform computations by sending, receiving and processing messages. A messaging API provides strong encapsulation and loose coupling; framework components can be easily plugged into complex framework applications using a “lego/messaging” architecture. The framework takes full advantage of the power and simplicity of the messaging design pattern.
C) The framework lego/messaging architecture provides transparent access to remote components: remote framework objects is treated as local objects. Design patterns implemented by the framework (adapters, remote proxies and facades) make this posible by hiding the complexities associated with remote APIs.
D) The framework provides transparent integration with other technologies via framework adapters, proxies and the implementation of related design patterns. These technologies include BPM, DAO implementations, MVC implementations, EJBs, JMS, XML and Web Services.
E) The framework is designed to be lightweight and fast in terms of performance (low overhead).
F) The framework messaging/lego architecture should improve and simplify design/development efforts. There should be a tight correspondence between UML design diagrams and the framework messaging based applications and components needed for the implementation. Ideally, the framework provides wizards and automated capabilities for generating framework applications. Framework components should be easily added to BPM process diagrams. In future versions of the framework, it should be possible for applications to be generated directly from the UML design diagrams.
G) The framework messaging architecture facilitates testing and debugging efforts. The framework provides capabilities for testing components independently (each component as a unit) by sending messages and verifying the reply (output) messages.
H) In order to provide additional productivity benefits, the framework is integrated with open source IDEs.
Additional features include:
- Implemented J2EE design patterns include J2EE business delegate, J2EE Session Facade, J2EE Service Locator and J2EE Value Object.
- Web Services integration via the implementation of Web Services adapters and proxies. The Jt messaging API greatly simplifies the development and deployment of web services.
- Integration with business process modeling (BPM). A jBPM adapter is provided within the Jt framework. jBPM is an open source implementation of the BPM technology. A Jt application can now be modeled using a process graph. This provides users with a very powerful way of modeling business processes.
- Integration with the MVC (Model View Controller) design pattern and Ajax. Universal Jt components and adapters provide a transparent interface between the Jt framework API and these technologies. The business logic (controller piece) can be implemented using Jt framework components and/or BPM business processes.
- Integration with the Hibernate implementation of Data Access Objects (DAO). A Jt adapter provides a transparent interface between the Jt framework and Hibernate DAOs. A native Jt DAO implementation is also provided. Additional DAO strategies can be easily plugged in.
- JDBC integration via a JDBC adapter.
- The Command pattern implementation supports a request log, a queueing mechanism and undoable operations.
- JavaMail API integration via the implementation of a JavaMail adapter
- Integration with J2EE Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs) via Jt Adapters and proxies. EJB clients are able to gain transparent access to remote framework objects. No need to deal with the complexities of EJB application development. An implementation of the J2EE Service Locator pattern is also provided.
- Easy customization of framework applications. This is done via resource files: object attributes can be automatically loaded from a resource file.
- Java Server Pages (JSP) integration.
- Integration with the XML APIs via XML adapters, helpers and built-in bean/XML mapping capabilities.
- Integration with the asynchronous Java Message Service (JMS). Jt messages can be sent and received via JMS adapters.
- Built-in logging/debugging capabilities. Messages between framework objects are automatically logged. This simplifies the debugging and testing tasks.
- Built-in testing capabilities.
- Efficient and lightweight in terms of memory utilization.
- The framework can be easily extended by implementing additional Jt adapters and helpers.
- The Jt Framework provides a consistent way of handling and logging application messages, errors and exceptions.
- Proven technology. The Jt framework has been used for the development of several large enterprise applications.
- Cross-platform, implemented using JavaTM technology.
- Integration with the Eclipse environment.
- Runs on any J2EE compatible application server.
Jt online documentation can be found at http://jt.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
For additional information please refer to http://jt.dev.java.net. You can join the Jt mailing list here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.