KanbanFlow vs. Trello vs. nTask
Let's look at some features.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Since way before the time of the pandemic and the start of the most chaotic time ever for businesses, project management software has been very important for the organizational paradigm. They bring order and stability to the very chaotic project development process.
Knowing the importance of project management software is one thing but to have an idea about the best project management software in the world is a completely different animal.
We have seen a lot of different project management software on the market that helps different companies to track and manage their projects easily and efficiently without any hiccups, but that doesn’t mean that one software is going to be perfect for everyone.
There are a lot of different factors involved in choosing the best project management software for your company. And if you think that your chosen software is working perfectly concerning those factors, then you’re in luck.
In this article, we are going to talk about two of the most amazing project management software on the market right now. Let’s begin.
KanbanFlow vs. Trello – Comparison Table
An effective online project management software that allows you to track and manage all of the different tasks and processes associated with your project.
As a SaaS software and an incredible Kanban application, this tool has one of the best prices you can get in the market right now, next to nTask of course. Let’s take a look at the key features, the pros, and cons and what is the price model of the software.
- Add tasks from emails
- Analyze & improve your workflow
- Board & task history
- Calendar management
- Copy boards
- Document & file attachment
- Filter & search
- Mobile support for most smartphone
- Progress tracking
- Real-time collaboration
- Revision history
- Subtasks for tracking progress
- Time/task reporting
- Users & roles
- WIP limits
- Add task from email
- Analyze & evolve your process
- Assign collaborators
- Built for speed
- Configurable workflow
- Cycle & lead time
- A free version of the application is available to be used if you don’t want to purchase the paid subscription to the software
- The paid subscription of the application is available for $5/month which has all of the bells and whistles including the upper mentioned features
- The software is available for a very low price
- There are some amazing time-tracking tools to be used to track your tasks and your employees’ performance
- The software also consists of a Pomodoro technique timer
- WIP limits swim lanes and there are also @mentions available if you want to mention somebody
- The free version of the application doesn’t have many features and it’s quite restrictive
- The files that you upload are not shown in any preview
- There are no image markup or PDF tools available
- The software lacks custom fields
Trello is one of the best project management software in the market right now. The application was launched in 2011 and is a sweetheart of Kanban lovers all across the organizational paradigm.
The interface of the application resembles a pinboard layout and has the best drag-and-drop functionality which allows you to interact with all of your tasks and processes easily and manage them without a hiccup.
Using the application, you can create many different custom boards which consist of different cards that you can assign as your tasks and the board as a project, and this distinction can help with visualizing your workflow easily.
Here are some of the features that the application offers, followed by the pros and cons of the application, and the pricing of software.
- Comments within tasks
- Priority levels
- Due dates
- Drag and drop functionality
- Personalized access to boards
- Personalized Kanban boards
- File attachments
- Assign tasks
- Colour labels
- Email notifications
- Third-party application integrations
- There is a free version available which allows you to have unlimited boards, unlimited lists, and cards, unlimited member additions to your boards, but only 10 MB of file attachments are allowed.
- The business class of the software is around $12.50 that gives you more features and much more control over all of the different boards that you can create even in the free version of the application
- For the enterprise edition of the software, you have to contact the company and they will give you a price quote according to your needs and requirements
- The user interface of the application is friendly and intuitive
- There is a lot of customization to be done in the Trello boards according to your specific needs and requirements
- The free version of the application is free for a lifetime and there are no hidden charges included when you want to use it
- The workflow management while using the application is splendid as you can easily manage all of the tasks and processes that you include in your Trello board
- The task management of the application is amazing as you can easily manage every task and process that you add to your boards
- You cannot create any Gantt charts while using the application which is a bummer when you have such an incredible application but no reporting features
- There is no calendar integration included in the application and you have to make do with the dates that you manually enter with the cards
- This application was purpose-built for small teams and organizations, and when it is used by large teams or projects, it certainly takes a toll on the application to handle that much data and information
- While using the basic version, there is a certain level of restrictions involved that don’t let you have proper control over the Trello boards and cards that you created
- There is no functionality of recurring tasks
- There is no functionality of issue or bug tracking in the software, so if you want to have these features you should check out nTask because it is an incredible scope creep and risk management software
- There is no in-built time tracking functionality, so if you want to measure the productivity of your staff and timely manage all of your tasks and processes, you should check out nTask because it has the best time tracking functionality in most of the high rollers that we have seen in the project management market
If we are talking about project management, then we have to tell you about the best project management software that you can buy on the market right now. Let’s take a deeper look into that.
Being the best at anything is incredibly difficult, but when you use nTask, you find out how easy it is for a project management software to track and manage all of the tasks and processes that are a part of your project development activities across the board.
The software is equipped with a heavy arsenal of features that allows you to easily manage your projects, and also keep an eye on your team members, so that you can monitor their productivity, and if anyone is slacking off, you can make better staff decisions in the future based on the data that the application provides you.
Here are some of the features that the application has to offer, followed by the pricing and the pros and cons of the application. Let’s take a look.
- Multiple board views
- Public links
- Minutes of meeting
- Activity logging
- Due date tracking
- Task filters
- Meeting follow-ups
- Activity tracking
- Calendar sync with Google
- Issue management
- Project time tracking
- Project risks
- Status tracking
- Project budgeting
- Cost estimating
- Email invites
- Deadline tracking
- Team performance reports
- Project management
- Timesheet management
- Risk matrix
- Task color codes
- File sharing
- Meeting management
- Resource planning
- Search functionality
- Feedback management
- Data export
- Approval process control
- Risk analytics
- Collaboration tools
- Task comments
- There is a free plan of the software available to you in which you can have unlimited tasks and meetings and some very critical project management features like risk management and issue tracking, but with certain restrictions that can be eradicated when you spend just $2.99.
- The pro version of the application is for just $2.99 that enables you to have unlimited workspaces and projects, and also you can add an unlimited number of team members. You will also have an unlimited amount of storage and many other features to fulfill your needs.
- The Enterprise Edition of the software has probably the best number of features being offered by any application in the market, and to get that, you have to contact the company and get a price quote straight from the source
- The interface of the application is super clean and you can easily traverse through it without any hiccups.
- There are a dedicated meeting management feature and an amazing Zoom integration, that allows you to quickly get in touch with your team members all over the world (something that is important in this time of the pandemic).
- There are issue tracking, bug tracking, and risk management features that help you weed out the scope creeps and issues related to your project and helps you get rid of them before they damage your project
- There were issues with the software as there were no Kanban creation features and no Gantt charting, but the company has really sped things up and now there is an exceptional Kanban boarding and Gantt charting feature in-built into the application
So, there you have it. This was KanbanFlow vs Trello and a third option which you can also avail of if you want the best product with the greatest number of features.
We know that not every software is for everyone, and that is why you should study each of these and select the software that is going to be the perfect choice for you and your team members working in your company.
Published at DZone with permission of Fred Wilson, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.