Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
Discover how to optimize your DevOps workflows with our cloud-based automated testing infrastructure, brought to you in partnership with Sauce Labs.
Linux Shell Power In Windows : Cygwin
- "Cygwin" is a tool which brings power of Unix on installation to Windows command line tool.
- It means we can feel the power of Linux Shell in Windows.
- "cygwin1.dll" is the dll file which provides the Linux Layer service on windows.
- To know more and download , follow the link below :-
- While installing Cygwin , It will ask to choose package among huge number of packages. Due to the size and time constraints we can select 'base', 'util' and 'net' modules.
- In this Demo, "We will see installation and how Unix commands are executing in Windows environment".
- The below screenshot shows the packages to be installed for getting Bash shell power inwindows.
- After Installation we need to set path in System Variable(PATH) to the home folder ofcygwin.Then we can invoke the shell by using "Cygwin" command in prompt.The below screenshot shows the 'Dollar($)' prompt on open shell call.
- Let's see some of the Linux command running on this prompt (pwd,whoami,cd,ls).
Download “The DevOps Journey - From Waterfall to Continuous Delivery” to learn learn about the importance of integrating automated testing into the DevOps workflow, brought to you in partnership with Sauce Labs.
Published at DZone with permission
Sandeep Patel, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.