Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
Planning to extract out a few microservices from your monolith? Read this free guide to learn the best practice before you get started.
Linux Shell Power In Windows : Cygwin
- "Cygwin" is a tool which brings power of Unix on installation to Windows command line tool.
- It means we can feel the power of Linux Shell in Windows.
- "cygwin1.dll" is the dll file which provides the Linux Layer service on windows.
- To know more and download , follow the link below :-
- While installing Cygwin , It will ask to choose package among huge number of packages. Due to the size and time constraints we can select 'base', 'util' and 'net' modules.
- In this Demo, "We will see installation and how Unix commands are executing in Windows environment".
- The below screenshot shows the packages to be installed for getting Bash shell power inwindows.
- After Installation we need to set path in System Variable(PATH) to the home folder ofcygwin.Then we can invoke the shell by using "Cygwin" command in prompt.The below screenshot shows the 'Dollar($)' prompt on open shell call.
- Let's see some of the Linux command running on this prompt (pwd,whoami,cd,ls).
Measure the impact of feature releases, and of your DevOps program more broadly with full stack experimentation. Learn how with this free article from CITO Research, provided by Split Software.
Published at DZone with permission
Sandeep Patel, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.