Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.
Join For Free
The DevOps Zone is brought to you in partnership with Sonatype Nexus. The Nexus Suite helps scale your DevOps delivery with continuous component intelligence integrated into development tools, including Eclipse, IntelliJ, Jenkins, Bamboo, SonarQube and more. Schedule a demo today.
Linux Shell Power In Windows : Cygwin
- "Cygwin" is a tool which brings power of Unix on installation to Windows command line tool.
- It means we can feel the power of Linux Shell in Windows.
- "cygwin1.dll" is the dll file which provides the Linux Layer service on windows.
- To know more and download , follow the link below :-
- While installing Cygwin , It will ask to choose package among huge number of packages. Due to the size and time constraints we can select 'base', 'util' and 'net' modules.
- In this Demo, "We will see installation and how Unix commands are executing in Windows environment".
- The below screenshot shows the packages to be installed for getting Bash shell power inwindows.
- After Installation we need to set path in System Variable(PATH) to the home folder ofcygwin.Then we can invoke the shell by using "Cygwin" command in prompt.The below screenshot shows the 'Dollar($)' prompt on open shell call.
- Let's see some of the Linux command running on this prompt (pwd,whoami,cd,ls).
The DevOps Zone is brought to you in partnership with Sonatype Nexus. Use the Nexus Suite to automate your software supply chain and ensure you're using the highest quality open source components at every step of the development lifecycle. Get Nexus today.
Published at DZone with permission
Sandeep Patel, DZone MVB. See the original article here.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.