Over a million developers have joined DZone.

More Than a Third of UK Firms Are Spending £1m or More on DevOps Per Year

An analysis of how UK Firms are spending money on DevOps initiatives based off a new survey from Delphix.

· DevOps Zone

The DevOps zone is brought to you in partnership with Sonatype Nexus. The Nexus suite helps scale your DevOps delivery with continuous component intelligence integrated into development tools, including Eclipse, IntelliJ, Jenkins, Bamboo, SonarQube and more. Schedule a demo today

More than 35% of organizations in the United Kingdom are dishing out £1m ($1.54m) or more on DevOps per year, according to a new survey.

The 2015 State of DevOps Report, conducted by Vanson Bourne for Delphix, found that DevOps was becoming increasingly prevalent in UK organisations – with 77 per cent having introduced dedicated budgets and support teams for DevOps.

A 2013, a CA Technologies poll found that 45 respondents didn’t know what DevOps was, and another 17 per cent thought it was all hype. Just last year, nearly a quarter (23 per cent) of IT decision makers claimed that they were not familiar with the term. Slowly, it seems, IT leaders are getting to grips with DevOps, with Gartner believing DevOps will become mainstream next year.

According to the Delphix study, 59 per cent of respondents believe that DevOps is somewhat strongly defined. However, there is a disagreement over whether the development side (28 per cent), the operations side (22 per cent) or both combined (50 per cent) share the responsibility for DevOps initiatives and how those are defined. In some cases, IT professionals believe DevOps can have multiple definitions.

Nearly two-thirds (64 per cent) of respondents believe that DevOps can be defined as “developers and system administrators collaborating to ease the transition between development and production”, while 57 per cent said that it could mean “evolving operations to meet the demands of agile software development teams”.

The Delphix study found that on average, organisations had started seven DevOps initiatives in the past two years, with this figure set to rise to nine in the next 24 months as DevOps initiatives become standardised.

More than half (52 per cent) of businesses said they had three teams with some DevOps responsibility, while the remaining 48 per cent had an average of five dedicated DevOps groups.

Meanwhile, Delphix suggested that the success of DevOps is measured by the number of defects found in the software development lifecycle, with 57 per cent agreeing that teams would spend less time recoding if defects were identified earlier.

Over half the businesses (56 per cent) currently identify defects or issues either once the application has been deployed to production or during QA (quality assurance) and validation, when it takes approximately five days to resolve.

“Reducing this time has a substantial impact on efficiency and effectiveness as teams spend less time recoding when defects are identified earlier in the development lifecycle,” Delphix claimed.

The most implemented DevOps initiatives included virtual databases (43 per cent), agile data masking (38 per cent) and continuous deployment (36 per cent). The survey’s results suggested that organisations with a commitment to DevOps require full production data for both QA and development activities. However, nearly half (46 per cent) of teams admit that they experience delays waiting for testing and development data environments, with just eight per cent able to reset the test environment within 10 minutes.

Delphix suggested that because many of these initiatives have data issues that only allow limited testing, DevOps practitioners are working around data security constraints and taking shortcuts with production data in non-production testing environments. Overall, 40 per cent of those surveyed admitted that developers and QA personnel are granted unaudited access to production data – which could compromise data security.

The DevOps zone is brought to you in partnership with Sonatype Nexus. Use the Nexus Suite to automate your software supply chain and ensure you're using the highest quality open source components at every step of the development lifecycle. Get Nexus today

devops,case study

Published at DZone with permission of Yaniv Yehuda, DZone MVB. See the original article here.

Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.

The best of DZone straight to your inbox.

Please provide a valid email address.

Thanks for subscribing!

Awesome! Check your inbox to verify your email so you can start receiving the latest in tech news and resources.

{{ parent.title || parent.header.title}}

{{ parent.tldr }}

{{ parent.urlSource.name }}