Over a million developers have joined DZone.
Platinum Partner

Mule ESB and the NoSuchMethodError: org.mule.util.ClassUtils.getClass exception

· Integration Zone

The Integration Zone is brought to you in partnership with 3scale. Take control of your APIs and get a free t-shirt when you complete the 3step Challenge

Currently I am adding some SAML related functionality to a Mule3 implementation of one of our clients. To work with the SAML objects I make use of the OpenSAML library that is provided here as open source.

I added the following dependencies to my pom.xml to make it work:

<!-- SAML dependencies -->
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>opensaml</artifactId>
  <version>2.5.1-1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>joda-time</groupId>
  <artifactId>joda-time</artifactId>
  <version>2.1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>openws</artifactId>
  <version>1.4.2-1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>xmltooling</artifactId>
  <version>1.3.2-1</version>
  <exclusions>
    <exclusion>
      <artifactId>log4j-over-slf4j</artifactId>
      <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
    </exclusion>
  </exclusions>
</dependency>
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
  <artifactId>slf4j-log4j12</artifactId>
  <version>1.7.2</version>
</dependency>

However, after adding these dependencies and running a test with the Mule instance I received this exception:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mule.util.ClassUtils.getClass(Ljava/lang/String;Z)Ljava/lang/Class;
at org.mule.util.ClassUtils.initializeClass(ClassUtils.java:356)
at org.mule.lifecycle.NotificationLifecycleObject.(NotificationLifecycleObject.java:45)
at org.mule.lifecycle.phases.MuleContextStopPhase.(MuleContextStopPhase.java:66)
at org.mule.lifecycle.phases.MuleContextStopPhase.(MuleContextStopPhase.java:56)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.registerPhases(RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.java:43)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryLifecycleManager.(RegistryLifecycleManager.java:57)
at org.mule.lifecycle.RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.(RegistryBrokerLifecycleManager.java:33)
at org.mule.registry.AbstractRegistryBroker.(AbstractRegistryBroker.java:37)
at org.mule.registry.DefaultRegistryBroker.(DefaultRegistryBroker.java:27)
at org.mule.DefaultMuleContext.createRegistryBroker(DefaultMuleContext.java:159)
at org.mule.DefaultMuleContext.(DefaultMuleContext.java:150)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextBuilder.buildMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextBuilder.java:89)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.buildMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:199)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.doCreateMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:189)
at org.mule.context.DefaultMuleContextFactory.createMuleContext(DefaultMuleContextFactory.java:75)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.createMuleContext(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:520)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.setUp(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:446)
at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:132)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.runBare(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:301)
at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:110)
at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:128)
at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:113)
at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:124)
at org.mule.tck.AbstractMuleTestCase.run(AbstractMuleTestCase.java:280)
at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:232)
at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:227)
at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit38ClassRunner.run(JUnit38ClassRunner.java:83)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:264)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:124)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethodWithArray2(ReflectionUtils.java:208)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$ProviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:158)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory.invokeProvider(ProviderFactory.java:86)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:95)


Which was weird because I wouldn’t expect OpenSAML libraries to influence the org.mule.util package! After googling around I discovered that the exception is caused when an older version of Apache commons-lang is being put on the classpath. So by excluding this dependency from the project the issue was fixed:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.opensaml</groupId>
  <artifactId>opensaml</artifactId>
  <version>2.5.1-1</version>
  <exclusions>
    <exclusion>
      <artifactId>commons-lang</artifactId>
      <groupId>commons-lang</groupId>
    </exclusion>
  </exclusions>
</dependency>

Just too bad that the message looks like to suggest there is something wrong with the Mule libraries. With this exclusion in place the ‘commons-lang-2.1.jar’ is not added to the classpath but the ‘commons-lang-2.4.jar’ which is expected by Mule to be available.

The Integration Zone is brought to you in partnership with 3scale. Learn how API providers have changed the way we think about integration in The Platform Vision of API Giants.

Topics:

Published at DZone with permission of Pascal Alma , DZone MVB .

Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.

{{ parent.title || parent.header.title}}

{{ parent.tldr }}

{{ parent.urlSource.name }}