One of the biggest hassles when designing/developing an online application is its server. There are many available but when your requirements include Java, there aren't that many. After months of looking around and trying I found Marauroa and fell in love. 100% Java, scalable, open source, and well written!
Sadly, when working with it for my game jWrestling, I noticed that the process was not straightforward and had a huge gap from the Marauroa framework to the final application.
Simple-Marauroa is already released as a simple Java project but now I'm migrating it to NetBeans RCP since the requirements are rapidly increasing and performance is important. Also, trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel on stuff already available in the platform.
You can see some of the documentation here. I'm working on moving the project to Java.net as you read this.
Here's the road map for it:
- Finish the basic set of features for Marauroa Application Manager
- Finish the basic set of features for Simple Client
- Release first version of Marauroa Application Manager
- Release first version of Simple Client
Here's the TODO list:
- Provide a NetBeans project type with reusable components to create Client Applications
- Finish the API for extensibility
- Migrate the first game to the applciation (jWrestling of course!)
- Port features from Stendhal into the platform (i.e. 2D sprites, sound, etc)
Simple Marauroa on Java.net
The project has a portal on java.net: http://java.net/projects/simple-marauroa. It is a private project at the moment. To gain access to the portal, please contact the administrator: Javier. Currently the project is hosted in SourceForge. You can take a look here.