SDN AND NFV STRATEGIES SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Virtually all major operators are either evaluating SDNs now or plan to do so within the next 3 years.
- SDN and NFV evaluation and deployments are being driven by carriers’ desire for service agility resulting in quicker time to revenue and operational efficiency.
- The top 5 network domains named by operators when asked where they plan to deploy SDNs and NFV by 2014 are: Within data centers, between data centers, operations and management, content delivery networks (CDNs), and cloud services.
- 86% of operators are confident they will deploy SDN and NFV technology in their optical transport networks as well at some point, once standards are finalized.
- Study participants rated CDNs, IP multimedia subsystems (IMS), and virtual routers/security gateways as the top applications for NFV.
You'll have to register for the InformationWeek survey, but Lori MacVittie has pulled some of the most interesting stats and shared them in a series of tweets.
Seems similar to cloud computing adoption several years ago.