As you might have read it already: for the new semester we plan the next generation of Sumo Robots: still based on the Pololu Zumo Chassis, but instead using the FRDM board with the processor, we directly put a Kinetis K20 processor on the board :-).
This is already the V3 of the robot:
- V0 based on the original Pololu parts, but with FRDM-KL25Z, see “The Freedom Zumo Robot“
- V1 based on home-made PCB with quadrature encoders, see “Adding Quadrature Encoder to the Zumo Chassis“
- V2 with externally produced PCB (2-layer), see “Zumo Robot assembled“.
- Now V3 comes with processor embedded :-)
Major features of the new design:
- Powerful Freescale Kinetis K20 with 120 MHz (ARM Cortex-M4F)
- Quadrature Encoders with processing logic on board (see “Processing the Pololu Motor Shaft Encoders“)
- Improved and simplified supply voltage circuits with more capacitance to avoid voltage drops
- 4-Layer PCB, with SMD parts to be populated outside (so students do not need to populate all the SMD parts any more :-) )
- Overall reduced costs (-20%) due higher integration (no external encoders, no external analog encoder processing, most connectors removed.
The first batch of boards we will populate ourselves, and for this we have received a laser-cut soldering mask:
So we will build the first robot, and if successful, we will be ready to build around 40 externally. That will be fun :-)
Happy Roboting :-)