The Nine Transformative Aspects of the Technical Debt Metric
The Agile Zone is brought to you in partnership with JetBrains. Learn how Agile Boards in YouTrack are designed to help teams plan, visualize and manage their work in an efficient manner, with support for both Scrum and Kanban processes.
- The technical debt metric enables Continuous Inspection of the code through ultra-rapid feedback to the software process (see Figure 1 below).
- It shifts the emphasis in software development from proficiency in the software process to the output of the process.
- It changes the playing fields from qualitative assessment to quantitative measurement of the quality of the software.
- It is an effective antidote to the relentless function/feature pressure.
- It can be used with any software method, not “just” Agile.
- It is applicable to any amount of code.
- It can be applied at anypoint in time in the software life-cycle.
- These seven characteristics of the technical debt metric enable effective governance of the software process.
- The above characteristics of the technical debt metric enable effective governance of the software product portfolio.
Figure 1: Continuous Inspection