November in IoT: MQTT and Smart Cities
November in IoT: MQTT and Smart Cities
This monthly recap of IoT focuses on articles that feature MQTT as the protocol of choice, the state of smart cities, and tons of DIY projects.
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Well, the winter bite is settling in over the northern hemisphere (happy summer to you southern readers out there), so it's as good a time as any to lock yourself in your workshop and get to work on the latest, greatest prototype! The themes in this month's selection of articles were definitely what you can do with MQTT and a look at smart cities around the world, but there's certainly no shortage of news about IIoT and predicting trends for the future.
Connecting You With What's Cool
- 5 IoT Trends to Watch for in 2018, by Dmitry Budko. Ahhh, the sweet smell of the first "prediction" post of the season. With 2017 coming to a close, let's see what the analysis predicts for IoT development next year and the trends you should be ready for.
- Remotely Control an ESP8266 With Kaa IoT Platform, by Mahdieh Asiaban. Kaa is an open source IoT middleware platform. See it in use to remotely control an ESP8266 blinky app through an Android device.
- NGINX and IoT: Adding Protocol Awareness for MQTT, by Liam Crilly. Buckle up for a 30-minute talk about the current state of IoT data and a demo that tackles MQTT, TLS, load balancing, session persistence, and plenty more.
- Choosing Your IoT Platform: Should You Go Open Source? By Igor Ilunin. This detailed analysis of managed cloud IoT services vs. open source IoT platforms considers essential criteria for IoT development and the costs to be aware of.
- Playing With IoT, MQTT, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi, by Gonzalo Ayuso. Follow along with the code or watch the video to see how to set up a real-time dashboard using an Arduino, a Raspberry Pi, and MQTT.
IoT Around the Web
As much as press releases tend to bore me to tears, this announcement by Silver Spring Networks caught my attention. The California, USA-based company announced that it was expanding its developer program to include most European countries and a handful in the Middle East. The expansion includes a developer portal, a dev kit for Arduino boards, and Silver Spring's IoT Edge Router.
The State of Smart Cities
This nifty write-up by Alex Chatha of Industrial-IoT.com is a pretty solid look at what's going on for smart city development around the globe. According to the summary, there are a lot of interesting projects going on in Europe, and it's great to see the interest in smart cities still growing.
A DIY Parking Spot Finder
And it wouldn't be an IoT recap without a cool project you can work on. Check out this awesome proposal for a smart parking system that uses a Raspberry Pi, an Arduino, a Genuino, a sensor, and Artik Cloud.
Diving Deeper Into IoT
DZone (Yes, We're Hiring!)
Location: Cary, NC, United States
- 3+ years of experience in the software industry
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills and technical troubleshooting
- Experience and understanding of architectural principles and frameworks
- Keen eye for detail and stubborn resolve to drive to high quality deliverables
- Experience with SQL, MySQL, Postgres, and SQL Server databases
- Experience with LDAP, SAML, Git and RESTful APIs
- Experience managing full-life development cycles
- 4+ years of experience in web development with Python/Django
- 2+ years professional experience with enterprise architecture and developing highly scalable websites/services
- Hands-on experience developing, releasing, and maintaining large-scale software applications (web/mobile)
- Must be a self-starter and enjoy working in a team with other passionate professionals
- Some experience with DevOps practices and platforms.
- Experience with automated unit/regression testing.
- Strong IT fundamentals with a bachelors or masters in computer science, engineering or equivalent industry experience
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.