Fortunately, it didn’t take so long to complete the process of development and updating my codebase to apply the newest technologies. Today I deployed the new version even though the deployment to Windows Azure turned out to be a hassle as I had to embed many of my assemblies and upload them to cloud.
The new version of Behistun doesn’t have major differences in the look and feel for the public, but it comes with some major updates and changes in my code. I rewrote approximately 30% of the original codebase and replaced my view engine with Razor while performed some optimizations and changes for cloud hosting. I also fixed some issues that I faced with during my upgrade to Windows Azure including some URL changes.
Speaking of Behistun, despite my original plan to release the project with an open source license, I don’t think that I’m going to do that. First of all, my main goal was to provide a blog engine written with ASP.NET MVC at a time when there weren’t many blog engines and open source projects available for the new technologies, and this doesn’t hold anymore. Second, I designed Behistun with a simplistic design structure particularly for an individual blog for my own needs that doesn’t come with some of the common features available, so releasing the code can’t help a big user community. Third, generally, after all these years I learned that starting an open source project is easier than maintaining and supporting it which is not something I want to deal with for a blog engine specifically as I am sure that I won’t have much assistance from the .NET community on this. I’d rather spend my time and efforts on more useful open source projects that are not done by others.
Having these said, I have Behistun available on my personal Git server and if you’re really interested to get the code and use it on your own (with no support from me), I can grant you access to clone the repository, so you can contact me to ask for it.