Nuxeo RCP 2.0 Launched: an Open Source Rich Client Platform for Document and Multimedia Applications
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
Nuxeo, pioneer and leader in open source ECM, has today announced the launch of Nuxeo RCP 2.0, a dedicated platform for the development of rich client ECM applications.
Both a framework and a set of components, Nuxeo RCP (Rich Client Platform) is the combined product of Nuxeo R&D and critical business applications specifically developed for leading players in the press agency and defense procurement sectors (Agence France-Presse in France, The Press Association in the UK and the Délégation Générale pour l’Armement in France).
Client benefits include:
- A richer and more reactive user interface,
- Multimedia editing features for picture, video and sound, not available with a thin client
- Optimal integration with operating systems and desktop applications
- Real-time collaboration features
- Capacity to work off line
By using Nuxeo RCP, Agence France-Presse multimedia journalists have witnessed a 40% gain in productivity.
before Nuxeo RCP
Click to enlarge
after Nuxeo RCP
Click to enlarge
The key differentiator of Nuxeo RCP 2.0 is the use of the same document management core for the client desktop as the one used on the server side of the Nuxeo EP platform (Enterprise Platform).
Integrator and developer benefits include:
- Faster, more efficient development thanks to a user interface model familiar to developers
- A service and component oriented approach based on models, reducing required written code
- Use of the same business components on both server and client sides, halving required coding
- Use of Eclipse IDE, the world’s most widespread Java development workbench
- Adoption of a single model and API, easing communication between server and client developers
- An open source philosophy facilitating the sharing of knowledge amongst developers.
“The rich client is perfectly complementary to the thin client,” says Stefane Fermigier, founder and CEO of Nuxeo. “It allows the development of finely tailored applications which meet specific user requirements for interface richness and reactivity. It also allows the development of critical business applications in a more cost effective way, significantly improving productivity and real-time collaboration of information workers.”
Nuxeo is a software vendor dedicated to developing and supporting the Nuxeo Platform, enterprise content management software based on Java EE 5 technologies and the vision of an “ERP for documents”. The company develops and implements its software according to the open source model, with zero-cost licenses and a subscription model based on the number of deployments and not on the number of users. Active in this market since 2000, Nuxeo has provided complete ECM solutions for many large companies, making it a pioneer and leader in the Open Source ECM revolution. Nuxeo is headquartered in Paris and has a subsidiary in the UK. Nuxeo works in collaboration with a network of integration partners such as Atos Origin, Business & Decision, Capgemini, Eurocis, Logica and many others, providing users with a broad range of professional services including support, consultancy, development, training and certification.
More information about Nuxeo: www.nuxeo.com/en
More information about Nuxeo RCP: www.nuxeo.com/en/products/rcp
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.