Obba 3.0: A Java Object Handler for Spreadsheets (for Client/Server Spreadsheet Add-Ins)
Obba provides a bridge between spreadsheets and Java classes. With Obba, you can use spreadsheets as GUIs for your Java libraries; turning your Java library to platform independent spreadsheet add-ins. Compatible with Excel/Windows, OpenOffice/Win/Mac/Linux, LibreOffice/Win/Mac/Linux, NeoOffice/Mac.Its main features are:
- Stateful access to almost all objects and methods running in a Java virtual machine via a fixed set of spread sheet functions.
- Client/server support: The Java virtual machine providing the add-in may run on the same computer or a remote computer - without any change to the spreadsheet.
- Loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through a spreadsheet function.
- Instantiation of Java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- Invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- Asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- Allows arbitrary number of arguments for constructors or methods (avoids the limitation of the number of arguments for Excel worksheet functions).
- Serialization and de-serialization (save Serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- All this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no VBA needed, no additional Java code needed).
For a more detailed introduction see Obba documentation and Obba home page.
Version 3.0.2 of Obba is a major revision and brings support for running the Java virtual machine references in the spreadsheet on a different machine.