Obba: A Java Object Handler for OpenOffice.
Obba provides a bridge from spreadsheets to Java classes.
Version 1.6 of the Add-In is now available for OpenOffice 3.0. It implements the same Java object handling API for OpenOffice as it does for Excel. Sheets may be migrated from Excel to OpenOffice and back with little effort.
With Obba, you can easily build spreadsheet GUIs (Excel or OpenOffice) to Java code. Its main features are:
- Loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through an spreadsheet function.
- Instantiation of Java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- Invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- Asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- Allows arbitrary number of arguments for constructors or methods (avoids the limitation of the number of arguments for Excel worksheet functions).
- Serialization and de-serialization (save Serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- All this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no VBA needed, no additional Java code needed).