Obba: A Java Object Handler for Spreadsheets - Version 2.2.9
Obba provides a bridge between spreadsheets and Java classes. With Obba, you can use spreadsheets as GUIs for your Java libraries; turning your Java library to platform independent spreadsheet add-ins. Compatible with Excel/Windows, OpenOffice/Win/Mac/Linux, NeoOffice/Mac.Its main features are:
- Loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through a spreadsheet function.
- Instantiation of Java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- Invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- Asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- Allows arbitrary number of arguments for constructors or methods (avoids the limitation of the number of arguments for Excel worksheet functions).
- Serialization and de-serialization (save Serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- All this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no VBA needed, no additional Java code needed).
For a more detailed introduction see Obba documentation and Obba home page.
Version 2.2.9 of Obba brings the following changes:
- Complete rewrite of Obba logging.
- Obba for Excel now prints the calling spreadsheet cell to the log file, when a Java exception occurs. This may come in handy when debugging spreadsheets.
- Added a log window to the Obba Control Panel (enable it via Window -> Show Log Window).
- Many improvements to the diagnostic output.