Obba: A Java Object Handler for Spreadsheets
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
obba provides a bridge between spreadsheets and java classes. with obba, you can use spreadsheets as guis for your java libraries; turning your java library to platform independent spreadsheet add-ins. compatible with excel/windows, openoffice/win/mac/linux, libreoffice/win/mac/linux, neooffice/mac.its main features are:
- loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through a spreadsheet function.
- instantiation of java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- allows arbitrary number of arguments for constructors or methods (avoids the limitation of the number of arguments for excel worksheet functions).
- serialization and de-serialization (save serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- all this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no vba needed, no additional java code needed).
for a more detailed introduction see obba documentation and obba home page .
version 2.2.15 of obba allows to customize the add-in such towards a white-labeling. new with version 2.2.15 are the obba developer resources , allowing to create your own custom installer (installing obba together with your spreadsheets and jar files).
the add-in has been tested with the latest release of libreoffice, openoffice and excel.
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.