Obba: A Java Object Handler for Spreadsheets
Obba provides a bridge between spreadsheets and Java classes. With Obba, you can use spreadsheets as GUIs for your Java libraries; turning your Java library to platform independent spreadsheet add-ins. Compatible with Excel/Windows, OpenOffice/Win/Mac/Linux, LibreOffice/Win/Mac/Linux, NeoOffice/Mac.Its main features are:
- Loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through a spreadsheet function.
- Instantiation of Java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- Invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- Asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- Allows arbitrary number of arguments for constructors or methods (avoids the limitation of the number of arguments for Excel worksheet functions).
- Serialization and de-serialization (save Serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- All this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no VBA needed, no additional Java code needed).
For a more detailed introduction see Obba documentation and Obba home page.
Version 2.2.15 of Obba allows to customize the add-in such towards a white-labeling. New with version 2.2.15 are the Obba Developer Resources, allowing to create your own custom installer (installing Obba together with your Spreadsheets and JAR files).
The add-in has been tested with the latest release of LibreOffice, OpenOffice and Excel.