Obba: A Java Object Handler for Excel and OpenOffice
Join the DZone community and get the full member experience.Join For Free
obba provides a bridge from speadsheets (excel or openoffice) to java classes.
with obba, you can easily build speadsheets guis to java code.its main features are:
- loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through an excel/openoffice worksheet function.
- instantiation of java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- serialization and de-serialization (save serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- all this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no vba needed, no additional java code needed).
- spreadsheets using obba to refer to java libraries can be easily migrated from excel to openoffice and back!
version 1.8.21 of obba brings the following changes:
- access fields of an object directly through a spreadsheet function call using 'obcall'. in this case the method name has to be dot + fieldname (e.g '.mymember').
- access elements of an array through a spreadsheet function call using 'obcall'. in this case the method name has to be '' and the argument of the call is an integer specifying the index. elements of multi-dimensional arrays can be accessed likewise.
- vector arguments can be passed as arbitrary ranges (columns, rows or two dimensional ranges which are then flattened using row major).
Opinions expressed by DZone contributors are their own.