Obba: A Java Object Handler for Excel and OpenOffice
Obba provides a bridge from Speadsheets (Excel or OpenOffice) to Java classes.
With Obba, you can easily build Speadsheets GUIs to Java code.Its main features are:
- Loading of arbitrary jar or class files at runtime through an Excel/OpenOffice worksheet function.
- Instantiation of Java objects, storing the object reference under a given object label.
- Invocation of methods on objects referenced by their object handle, storing the handle to the result under a given object label.
- Asynchronous method invocation and tools for synchronization, turning your spreadsheet into a multi-threaded calculation tool.
- Serialization and de-serialization (save Serializable objects to a file, restore them any time later).
- All this though spreadsheet functions, without any additional line of code (no VBA needed, no additional Java code needed).
- Spreadsheets using Obba to refer to Java libraries can be easily migrated from Excel to OpenOffice and back!
Version 1.8.21 of Obba brings the following changes:
- Arrays of objects can be created using obMake with a class name of ClassName where ClassName is the component type (see documentation for an example).
- Added a window to the Obba Control Panel which visualizes the objects and their dependencies in a graph. The dependencies are determined by the objects used during construction an object.
- Improved the handling of transient object handles.
- Invocation of static methods (class methods) now uses dynamic method lookup.